chilled espresso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chilled espresso

Does anyone out there in forum land know how to get some already brewed chilled espresso, in bulk?
    Jim Devine
    Beaver Creek Brewery

Originally posted by wibauxman
    Does anyone out there in forum land know how to get some already brewed chilled espresso, in bulk?
    Hi wibauxman,

There is an intrinsic contradiction in what you want.

Espresso is named so because it "expressively" for you and supposed to be drunk seconds after it is made. It became stale and insipid in a matter of a minute.

BTW, the same is about any other method of coffee brewing.
    The best coffee is made in one "sitting": roasted, grinded and brewed.

So when looking for coffee for coffee/espresso stout or whatever style would
    add it freshly roasted-ground at the last minutes of wort boiling.

Leonid L.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofer
      add it freshly roasted-ground at the last minutes of wort boiling.
      which, by the time it reaches the consumer, isn't in one sitting anymore.

I totally understand what brewers are after in a coffee beer... but being a coffee roaster/barista before moving into beer, I always feel "great beer! ...nasty coffee."

Espresso is brewed under high pressure (~9 bar, or about 130 psi) with finely ground coffee (providing back pressure and high surface space) to yield one shot in about half a minute. (1.5 oz with 14+g coffee). You need absolutely freshly roasted coffee for the full shot of crema. There are quite a lot of research on the fine grind and extraction rate, and what people are after in the cup.

but I assume the original post's point is to have concentrated coffee in beer.
      I don't see much point of dumping espresso in beer... but maybe you can try "espresso roast".

Comment

Ready made coffee

I remember working in Sweden at a place that had coffee concentrate. You but a bag with the concentrate in a machine that blended it with hot water. The coffee was pretty good too.......
        Would work well to brew with I imagine. The product must be avail. here in the US.
        David Meadows
        Technobrew
        San Diego, CA
        David Meadows
        Brew House Technologist
        TECHNOBREW
        (619)840-3311
        david@technobrew.com

Comment

chilled espresso

wibauxman,

Would something like this work?

I've heard it's great tasting coffee and always thought it would be good to brew with.

Comment

If you want to make a coffee beer, i have done it hot side and using Cold Toddy. I VERY MUCH prefer the latter. Read this thread:
            Jeff Byrne

Comment

I've seen lots of dessert recipes calling for Instant Espresso Powder, I wonder if that would work.
              Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

Working...
              X