Sam Adams Hop Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Adams Hop Sharing

Pretty smooth of Koch and company to share 20,000 pounds of EKG and Tett at cost. Maybe other big breweries should take the lead and run.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

As a brewpub opening this year, I cannot stress how huge this is for us. Much respect to Boston Beer for doing this, especially as a publicly traded company. As with any publicly traded organization, there is no doubt that a large number of BBC's owners don't give a crap about craft beer or the situation faced by small brewers, and will likely think this is "bad business". Major props to Jim Koch for staying true to the industry and recognizing how by helping everyone else he really does help Boston Beer.

Now, I just need to make sure I get some of these hops...
    Last edited by Butcher Scott; 02-15-2008, 12:04 PM.
    Scott Metzger
    Freetail Brewing Co.
    San Antonio, TX

Comment

I can't say how much respect I just gained for Sam Adams as a company. They always had my respect as a brewery but this is unbelievable. In a world where most large companies use their size to drown out the little guy, you rarely will see anything like this. Good karma to all over at Sam Adams!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Butcher Scott
        As with any publicly traded organization, there is no doubt that a large number of BBC's owners don't give a crap about craft beer or the situation faced by small brewers, and will likely think this is "bad business".
        Same thing my boss said. Wait until the shareholders see this.
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I am fortunate to have hops contracted, but WOW!
          Here's to you Jim!!
          Prost!

I will be buying some Sam Adams tonight to toast Jim with. <----read that shareholders!

Jeff Byrne
          Last edited by Jephro; 02-15-2008, 04:15 PM.
          Jeff Byrne

Comment

Me Too!!

Already bought (and consumed) a sixer in honor of Jim's generosity. If it's premature (and hopefully it isn't) at least I have a bit of a buzz.
            Cheers Sam Adams!!
            Dave
            Dave Fougeron
            Southern Star Brewing Company
            Conroe, Texas

Comment

I'm impressed. My opinion of Sam Adams beers has always been high, but not so my opinion of Jim or the company. That has changed, he has made a VERY GENEROUS offer... They could have charged 2x or even 3x as much, made a profit and people would have been happy.. but he didn't.. selling at cost+ a reasonable handling fee.. Hats off... Well done Jim!

Comment

Sam adams

I'm quite inspired by this.....maybe it'll encourage other big guys to do the same (ideally in Canada !)

T
                Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
                Vancouver, B.C.
                Canada

Comment

Jim Koch and the BBC quite simply rock.
                  Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

Let them know how well we think of them, go to their site and send them a Thank You e-mail ASAP!

Tom
                    ECBC

Comment

Other breweries too!

This just in from Beer Business Daily:

NOT JUST BOSTON BEER HELPING HOP SITUATION

We touched earlier this week on the generally helpful culture of the folks in the craft beer industry, using Jim Koch and Boston Beer Co.'s selling of hops at cost to brewers in need during this critical hop shortage as a prime example. We should point out that it's not just Boston Beer, but several other brewers have not taken all of their contracted hops, with the intent that the hop supplier then has the resources to sell to other breweries that may not have contracted adequately for their needs. Sierra Nevada has sold back or not taken 60 thousand pounds of hops, and Deschutes and others have help ease the hop situation. We've even heard of some big brewers (A-B and Coors) helping smaller brewers source hops, so not just the small brewers helping out.

Important to give credit where credit is due. Jim has had the most “public” announcement of hop sharing, but there have been many examples of brewers helping fellow brewers out with the hop and barley shortage – including right here on the pages of ProBrewer. This truly exemplifies the beer brewing family!

By the way, Beer Business Daily is an excellent source on daily news briefs, primarily targeted to the wholesalers. It’s subscription based. More at beernet.com

Comment

I would like to note that if a brewery doesn't take their hop allocation, the brokers will just sell it at market prices-ouch!
                        I especially applaud Sam Adams for selling direct to other brewers at their cost. This represents a huge cost savings, beyond just increased availability.

Comment

A diligent forum member sent me this link thinking I worked for Sam Adams:
                          Acquired from Sam Adams

This is an ebay auction for someone selling what they claim are Sam Adams hops. $29.95 plus 9.50 shipping. The sellers name and address are listed in the post. He is in Waynesboro, VA 22980.

I don't quite think this is the purpose Jim Koch had in mind when he released these hops. Do you?
                          Cheers & I'm out!
                          David R. Pierce
                          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                          POB 343
                          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Old or Fresh?

Originally posted by beertje46
                            Acquired from Sam Adams

This is an ebay auction for someone selling what they claim are Sam Adams hops. $29.95 plus 9.50 shipping. The sellers name and address are listed in the post. He is in Waynesboro, VA 22980.

I don't quite think this is the purpose Jim Koch had in mind when he released these hops. Do you?
                            Some people believe that good hops deserve good price. Check out this link for pricing and limitations and wonder what the farmer, processor or brewer who produced them or released them had in mind. www.hopsdirect.com
                            Sometimes is better to get things at high price than not get them at all.
                            How about gas, oil and gold prices.

I suggest you check this listing again. I did, just by typing in e-bay search; Hops Pellets Hopsteiner Tettnang. If the seller is telling the truth ( I believe he/she is) and the hops really are 2006 as listed, and these come from Sam Adams, it may mean many things. Hop grave yard clean-up, excessive inventory of old hops, replacing old hops with fresh once ( as many breweries did this year after seeing the hops shortage as a good opportunity to get read of anything unwanted without loss ).
                            Tettnang and Spalt do not store very well and many smart people prefer to replace them with fresh supply if they can.
                            Did we see it all by now?
                            Cheers.

Comment

What is on their mind?

Originally posted by beertje46
                              Acquired from Sam Adams

Hi Dave,
                              Check out this. Copy this link: https://www.shopzilla.com/8B--Liquor...0hops__nwylf-- and check this out.
                              What do you think these breweries and resellers had in mind while pricing their beers?
                              Will these prices stay on this level from now on? Personally, I very much believe so?
                              How the malsters, hop growers, processors and dealers will price their products when they see these beer prices?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X