serving dietary supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serving dietary supplements

Here's an odd question. Can dietary supplements be sold/served in a restaurant or pub? Keep in mind I'm speaking about ethanol extracts. These would be sold as additives to food and beverage. Small quantities would be added to the food or drink at the request of the customer. What legal issues (if any) would apply?

I know there are places that offer so called "health drinks" made from fresh fruits and veggies with supplements added to them. I bet you could do it, but from a legal standpoint it may be more trouble than it's worth. There are a lot of people with allergies and even more starving lawyers out there.
    Maybe start by paying a visit to your local Natural Health Food Store.
    Are you thinking of extracting them yourself, or just buying them?
    Jeff Byrne

Comment

Imagine simple old school extractions made in the appropriate manners. How about simple spearmint for example. Customer wants spearmint extract in *** beverage or food and pays a fee for the choice. Or customer wants an "herbal bitter" in cold water, hot water, or carbonated water- makes a choice of options from a list of "herbal bitters", and pays a fee ( as customer made a choice to pay for the extra addition). Or even a weird future where, "beers are now only bitters with little flavors" and a customer could pick from a list of different "herbal extracts" like different hop variety extracts, or spruce tips extract, or any other plant extract desired and then a small amount is added to the purchased product. Any number of options as long as choice is involved. Hot chocolate with some chili extract(what variety please), vanilla( what variety please), etc. The NA drinker wants a ginseng extract and tonic, the local wants Osha' extract with Agave nectar and soda water (for the cough , ya know), etc..... Allergic person wants a massive concentrate of tumeric extract in the soup, ...etc..
      Herbal extracts dispensed on an individual basis per the choice of the customer. No health claims. Promote one's own product or others.
      What legal problems?

Comment

Sounds like a cool idea to me. Don't know if you have ever been to one of these stores, but noticed they do have an allergen page on their site. Check it out:
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by wildcrafter
          Imagine simple old school extractions made in the appropriate manners. a customer could pick from a list of different "herbal extracts" like different hop variety extracts, or spruce tips extract, or any other plant extract desired and then a small amount is added to the purchased product. Any number of options as long as choice is involved. Hot chocolate with some chili extract(what variety please), vanilla( what variety please), etc. Herbal extracts dispensed on an individual basis per the choice of the customer. No health claims. Promote one's own product or others.
          What legal problems?
          I've visited a few places like that in the Nederlands.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Originally posted by beertje46
            I've visited a few places like that in the Nederlands.
            Hi Dave, could you please elaborate on your experience in the Nederlands?
            Thanks, Todd

Comment

Originally posted by wildcrafter
              Hi Dave, could you please elaborate on your experience in the Nederlands?
              Thanks, Todd
              The reviews here do a good job describing the experience.

Semi-complete Amsterdam list. Get my joke?
              Cheers & I'm out!
              David R. Pierce
              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
              POB 343
              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Hi Dave,
                Now that was funny!! I thought you might mean that, but I was hoping you were going to share a different experience. And they don't sell beers at the coffeeshops? Or is that more legal issues? Can't they host a real "Cannabacea Cup" that includes all members of the family?

Get hoppy!!
                Todd

Comment

Working...
                X