Heather Alpha Equivilent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heather Alpha Equivilent

I know that heather tips do not have Alpha aceid per se. Does anyone have a number to use to guesstimate bittering from heather?

I am using 1% in my recipe calculations but am not sure if that is a good number.

Mike
    Mike Pensinger
    General Manager/Brewmaster
    Parkway Brewing Company
    Salem, VA

I don't perceive any bitterness from them, do you? Is the 1% by weight of the grist?

Comment

no the 1% is an alpha percentage just to approximate bitterness...

Mike
      Mike Pensinger
      Parkway Brewing Company
      Salem, VA

Comment

Hi Mike,
        Where did you find your heather tips? I'm searching for a source!
        Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Of course! Is heather found wild in Montana? Seems likely. I understand that the tips are best harvested in late July/early Aug as they flower.
          I found some (forced) blooming heather at Trader Joe's or perhaps you could try florists for fresh blooming tips.
          I have been drinking lots of Froach Heather beer from Scotland and don't perceive any bitterness.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
            Of course! Is heather found wild in Montana? Seems likely. I understand that the tips are best harvested in late July/early Aug as they flower.
            I found some (forced) blooming heather at Trader Joe's or perhaps you could try florists for fresh blooming tips.
            I have been drinking lots of Froach Heather beer from Scotland and don't perceive any bitterness.
            I wonder if the goal is really to just balance all of the sweetness of the malt with a flavor so that the sweetness is not disgustingly so. I never noticed the bitter of the heather in the Froach either, but it works. The hop tree I work with is kind of "meaty" and "citrus" in flavor and it works -meat and sweet. I guess heather is "flowers" and sweet. I'd say make small batches and see if you should be heavy or light handed as well as when to make additions. Start with simple tea?

Comment

Dave,

The company that packages "Brewers Garden" home brew stuff. I can't remember the name right now. I called the local homebrew shop and asked them for the name and they gave me a website.

Mike
              Mike Pensinger
              Parkway Brewing Company
              Salem, VA

Comment

Heather

I prefer the quality of herbs (freshness, lack of unwanteds, well harvested) from Wild Weeds. Now Heather is 15.00 / # so you pay for quality

Oh you will not believe what you get if you google Montana and heather.

Comment

I figured it out. It is www.brewcraftusa.com

Mike
                  Mike Pensinger
                  Parkway Brewing Company
                  Salem, VA

Comment

Of the three websites I visited I liked Hanna Montana's the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X