PAA and beer oxidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAA and beer oxidation

I am new to using PAA and concerned the hydrogen peroxide might contribute to beer oxidation?
    Do you typically let everything dry completely when using PAA? Or is the small amount of residue not an issue?
    How long is the PAA actually stable for, minutes hours, days?

Thanks,
    Joe

Paa

JoeV,

You are correct about PAA forming atomic oxygen which acts as a disinfectant, subsequently disappearing from solution by forming molecular oxygen. The beauty of PAA is that it won't leave large amounts of residue behind and it can be used as a disinfectant under CO2 pressure. Those residues left behind do need to be minimized to reduce oxydation and increase flavor stability of the finished product. You should allow the tank to completely drain and use CO2 pressure to blow any further residue, either in the bottom of the tank or in the piping, to the drain.

If you have large surface area to volume ratios I would minimize your residues or rinse them with your chlorinated water supply. I even remember rinsing 200bbl CCFV's and 500 bbl BBT's before pitching and fermentation or before filtering into the BBT's. Your chlorinated rinse water will need to be analyzed and remain below your spec for bacteria.

I would replace your PAA regularly and not reuse it more than four times / day. Dump two day old PAA.

I have used PAA in both packaging and non- packaging breweries with great success. Our packaged beers were way below industry standards on D.O. It is a great disinfectant when used properly.

Be safe with that stuff, and good luck!
    Last edited by Todd; 02-25-2008, 02:03 PM.
    Todd Malloy
    Director of Brewing
    Glenwood Canyon Brewing Co.
    Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Comment

Working...
    X