Toffee flavor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toffee flavor?

I'm wondering which malt or sugar would give me a nice toffee flavor in the product. My only challange is I dont want the beer to be dark in color, almost the same color as Whiskey if that helps.

Any Ideals? Im open to suggestions

Thanks
    Mike
    www.Lervig.no

Would need to know what type of beer you are trying to make in order to get the percentages right, but Thomas Faucet Crystal 65 imparts a toffe flavor into some of my beers. I really like this malt alot, gives the beer a classy, unique flavor that you dont usually find. I like it in my amber, and in my brown.
    Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
    Syracuse, NY

Comment

Originally posted by NYSBrewer
      Would need to know what type of beer you are trying to make in order to get the percentages right, ...

Its not defined yet, I want a peat smoked, 16% alcohol, whiskey colored beer with a toffee flavor.... oh yeah I'm thinking about using whiskey yeast to ferment it with.

What do you think? Possible
      www.Lervig.no

Comment

Check out Baird's Carastan
        home brew, home brewing, beer ingredients, homebrew, beer kits, beer equipment,brewing equipment
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

I use Thomas Fawcett amber malt. You don't really need to use very much(2%-5% in standard gravity beers) to get a nice dry toffee flavor and the color profile will fit your specs(amber end of 40*L). I usually use it in conjunction with crystal & caramel malts to blend in some sweetness but I have only used it in 13 - 15*P beers.

Cheers,
          Sean H.

Comment

I use Thomas Fawcett amber malt. You don't really need to use very much(2%-5% in standard gravity beers) to get a nice dry toffee flavor and the color profile will fit your specs(amber end of 40*L). I usually use it in conjunction with crystal & caramel malts to blend in some sweetness but I have only used it in 13 - 15*P beers.

Cheers,
            Sean H.

Comment

16% alocohol? Whiskey colored beer?? Whiskey yeast? Dude, I don't know what you are making, but it sure isnt beer. Have you thought about aging in whiskey barrels to get your desired flavor? Seems like you are onto something way off the beer charts.
              Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
              Syracuse, NY

Comment

Working...
              X