concentrate people!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concentrate people!

I have used purees in the past, now I am about to use a concentrate for this year's fruit beer. Any guidelines on amounts I should go with from those with experience (10Bbl batch)? I'm sure I need much less than I would puree, not to mention the stuff is pretty potent and acidic by itself.

concentration

I used 2 gal of razz from Cal Flav, for 10 bbls.

cheers,
    GOOSE

Comment

What kind of fruit and how concentrated is it? Who makes it?
      Scott Isham
      Harper's Brewpub

Comment

I've been back and forth with a few companies, but the one that sticks out (heard about it here) is "Juice Products Unlimited" in Chicago. The juice I want to use is 4.5-9.5% w/w citric acid, 65 Brix per gal., which would make it (if my calculations are correct) .72-1.45 w/v citric acid @ 10 Brix.. I went through this last year on another post, but got spooked last minute and decided to use puree instead. I tried to mix some samples of the concentrates with my lightest beer in various ppm to see the effect it had on the final product, but take the sugar away (that would result from fermentation), and the acid intensifies, the beer thins out, etc.. I would like to have a ballpark figure on how much to use before I invest in the costly juice. I can't really afford to screw this up with the marked-up grain, the marked-up hops (you know the drill by now).

Comment

concentrate people

I found that adding the concentrate after filtration is the best way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by GOOSE
            I found that adding the concentrate after filtration is the best way to do it.
            I agree. I use that same company's products and add in the cellar (to kegs in our case) prevents changes due to fermentation. So I can't help you with how it will ferment (but Founders B.C. in Grand Rapids MI does, so maybe a call up there- they were very helpful to me), but we use 20 oz per 1/4 bbl to a american wheat and it is a pretty dramatic fruit character. I wouldn't go much more than this.
            FWIW, this stuff is WAY better than concentrated flavorings. It is much more of a "real fruit" aroma and taste.
            Matt Van Wyk
            Brewmaster
            Oakshire Brewing
            Eugene Oregon

Comment

So I shouldn't ferment this stuff? It's not aseptic, and I don't want the beer to be too sweet. Should I ferment a portion of it, then add some post fermentation?

Comment

Its Fruit Beer!!!!

Its Fruit Beer..its the white Zin of brews...its not a beer to be proud of..its FRUIT BEER!!!!

2 gal of Cal Fr Razz extract into about 12bbls of filtered American Wheat beer...mix with co2 from the botton, or rack it from one tank to another real quick to mix it...it doesn't add sweetness but fruitiness..'chicks love it'

Cheers,

GOOSE

Comment

How'd the JPU concentrate work?

Hi Mr. Jay-

How did your fruit beer turn out using the Juice Products Unlimited concentrate? We've been using Oregon Fruit Products puree for our raspberry wheat. For the first time in years they've sold out and we're looking for a substitute.

Our wisest choice would be to use another berry puree until the raspberries are back in stock. The thought of using concentrated juice is tempting though as it would simplify our brewing process. It would probably make a better beer in the end, though I think flavor matching would be difficult.

Any thoughts?
                  Clarke Pelz
                  Cynosure Brewing

Comment

The beer turned out great! They are only sold in 5 gallon containers. I used 3 gallons in the vat, and added 2 gallons post fermentation. It was WAY too sweet and sour. I wound up brewing a second batch of wheat beer, and blending the 2. It was a beautiful beer, just a royal p.i.a. for me to brew. If you are making less than 10 Bbl, 5 gallons is a bit over the top. The concentrate freezes well, though.

P.S. I would not recommend using Traverse Bay Farms concentrates (located in Michigan). Their customer service stinks! I told them I was so disgusted with them, I was going to tell everyone I could not to use them. There, I said it. I will p.m. anyone who wants to know more specifics.

Comment

Working...
                    X