Ginger Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger Use

I am contemplating making a ginger brew using fresh ginger root. Something along the lines of Leftands Juju Ginger. Does anyone have suggestions on quantities of the root per barrel and the best place to make the additions?

We use about 3/4's of a pound in 7 barrels. We put the ginger through a food processor to chop it, then drop it in some cheese cloth and add it during the whirlpool. We get quite a bit of ginger this way, but it's not "hot" or overpowering.

TL
    BrewerTL

Comment

Gingerly additions

With no other herbs I like it hot... Depending on gravity 3 to 9 lbs per barrel in the kettle gets some heat in there.

Comment

wow. now there are two different views.

Comment

Yeah, it is...that's what's great about craft brewing.

I've brewed with that much ginger before, and canyon is right, it's hot! So I guess it depends on what you're trying to achieve. What I've found is that that much ginger was actually better if you had the time to age the brew extensively. We just don't have a "tank farm", so for what our customers want (ginger as a subtle, integrated flavor in the beer, not the "star of the show") we need to go more along the 3/4's of a pound per 7 barrels approach.

Like I said, the beauty of craft brewing!!
          BrewerTL

Comment

small batch?

You could always try a small batch and see if the ginger is where you like it. Also try "dry gingering" add some to the fermenter. If you can get ahold of a juicer throw the ginger in there, collect the juice and pasteurize it then add before kegging.

Comment

Joe V, The small batch idea is out. The smallest I can effectivly brew is 10 bbls because of brewhouse restrictions. I've read that ginger powder doesn't give off that nice aroma as fresh root. I want that refreshing heat from the root without that overpowering heat like some ginger beers. Kind of like drinking a dark and stormy.

Comment

If you don't want to commit to a full batch how about dosing some kegs with different rates. I've made some killer ginger meade this way, some hot, some sweet.
                Cheers & I'm out!
                David R. Pierce
                NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                POB 343
                New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I have been using ginger in commercial production for over 12 years, only at threshold. 1/2-3/4 oz/bbl gives a just barely perceivable aroma/flavor and has the added effect of settling the stomach, during those extended sessions. More carbonation brings out more ginger. Throw the ginger, milled in a food processor, into a muslin bag into the whirlpool. The amount of ginger you use will vary a bit based on how fresh it is, if its really juicy and smells really peppery use less and if it is a bit dry and really yellow use more.

Hope that helps

Comment

Working...
                  X