Glycol Chiller Size...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Chiller Size...

...is there someone out there with a 10 BBL system using 4- 10 BBL fermenters and a two-stage heat exchanger that has some recommendations regarding chiller size? BTU Loading?

Hello Palero, I'd be happy to do a quick load calculation for this duty. Typically a 5 HP System will be adequate for a 10 Bbl System with only 4 Ea Fermenters.

Just have a few questions to help estimate the load:

How many brews per week are you planning to do?
    How quickly will you process the wort through the two stage heat exchanger?
    Will you be cooling Wort more than 10 F (80 F to 70 F) in the glycol section of the heat exchanger?

Thanks
    Jim
    jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com

Comment

Thanks for your help!!

I will brew only once per week.
      I am not sure what temp I will need in the second stage, it depends on the season here in Chicago. Hopefully I can transfer as fast as I can pump, but I am sure the transfer time is usually 45 minutes- 1 hour.

Thanks!!

Comment

Assuming 10 F removed in the glycol section of the Wort Heat Exchanger, at a flow rate of 10 Bbls in 45 minutes (6.8 GPM), is equal to about 35,000 BTU/HR. This is about the capacity of a typical 5 HP Chiller System operating at 30 F. glycol.

I estimate the brewery load around 15,000 BTU/HR max- this is based on 2 EA of the Fermenters crash cooling from 68 to 34 F in 24 hours, 1 EA Fermenter in active fermentation at 68 F., and 1 EA Fermenter in holding at 34 F. I realize having 2 EA Fermenters in knockdown simultaneously is unlikely only brewing 1 batch per week, but wanted to look at worse case.

Are your conditioning tanks within a walk in cooler?

Based on the above, I think a 5HP system is good choice. As you can see, while processing Wort you will be slightly undersized, but it wouldn't be too feasible to oversize the system for a process that will only occur a few times a week at 45 minutes per day.

If you'd like a quote on a system for this duty, please let me know.

Thanks

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X