Dry Hopping with Summits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Hopping with Summits

Anyone ever use Summit hops for dry hopping? Care to share any pros/cons of using this variety for dry hopping? I've read they're similar to Simcoe, but I'm not real big on the "cat piss" profile that they give.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

TL
    Last edited by BrewerTL; 08-11-2008, 08:41 PM.
    BrewerTL

Dry Hopping with Summits

We have used them a few times for dry hops and late kettle additions and have been really happy with them. We use them as a direct sub for Simcoes. The character is a little different and not as catty as Simcoes. People have described ours as being herbally, oniony and sometimes garlicky aromas, but I think they have a very unique and subtle scitrus character. We are going to continue to dry hop with them. I have been told that Nugget and Amarillo blending with Summits can give you a closer resemblance to the regular Simcoes.

Michael Uhrich
    Owner/Brewer
    Carter's Brewing
    Billings, MT

Comment

I dry hopped two beers with summit recently, and both beers had a huge grapefruit/citrusy, punch you in the nose aroma. That said, some others claimed it was garlicky and oniony (although I think this was mostly due to preconceptions).

Cheers,
      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBrews
        I dry hopped two beers with summit recently, and both beers had a huge grapefruit/citrusy, punch you in the nose aroma. That said, some others claimed it was garlicky and oniony (although I think this was mostly due to preconceptions).

Cheers,
        Joe

This is more what I'm looking for. Was it an orange-type citrus at all or strictly grapefruit?

Thanks!

TL
        BrewerTL

Comment

In my opinion it's pretty grapefruity. It's a citrus with a bite to it, not as soft as I would consider orange to be.

Comment

Working...
          X