home grown hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home grown hops

Anyone ever have any trouble with the Health Department when using home grown hops. I've got a small local farm who grows a bit of hops and is interested in providing us with some. However, concern has been raised as to the regulations regarding it's use (and advertisement of it's use)

I don't see there being a problem, and would love to offer a beer in our lineup that uses locally grown ingredients.

Anyone have any experience to share?

Thanks

Sounds ridiculous.

Did you spray paint the hops golden and they caught you?

I'm curious too if there might even be a hint of truth to a health department issue of using homegrown hops. I thought hops are grown at someone's home.

Odd concept.

Comment

hops health issue

there should be no health department issues with using hops from a home-grown source. However, there may be a concern from them that the "grower" uses either unlicensed pesticides or other chemicals intended for ornimental use and not agricultural use. In that case I could see some concern for liability. If you're determined to go forward, consider drafting an indemnification and a statement of crop residue and keeping on file.
      James Altwies
      Director/Horticulturist
      Gorst Valley Hops
      www.gorstvalleyhops.com

Comment

Working...
      X