Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mexican Hops - Native American Hops

Harvest is on!

Here's a few picts of native hops and Euro hops growing in La Bolsa, NM, 2008 using certified organic methods.

58- native NM hops from breedings
    66- other native NM hops from breedings
    79- a 6-lateral native NM hops from breedings
    61- native hops from Germany- Hallertau-losers
    80- Mt. Hood hops-losers

Only native NM hops and Cascades pay with golden cones. All other Euros are nothing but grasshopper fodder. Nugget, Newport, Fuggle, Willamette, Centennial, Columbus, Sterling, Santiam, Hallertau, and Mt. Hood have been grown for 2 years with no yield yet- nada.

Euro hops don't like NM while Native American Hops love NM.

The breedings of natives will continue. Quite worthy.
    Attached Files

Basics

Hey I just aquired a couple rootlings, I realize they will not do much with so little of the growing season left this year. If you do not mind answering a few simple questions... How high of a string trellis should I put up in the spring? What are the obvious signs to look for when determining harvest time. I recieved some Cascade and Libery. What kind of yeild per plant would you normally expect? Thanks in advance crafter. Oh and would you be willing to part with a pilot batch sized amount of your native NM hops? I alway enjoy trying something new.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Hairless Europeans.. thats what we call them. Try not to hurt their feelings though because they were not meant for the American West. The rhizomes are so slender and smooth without the dense roots that coat the Americans like thick hair.

Most of the work hops do is underground! Sneaky girls

Had a workshop on organic hops and hopyard: https://www.soilcrop.colostate.edu/r...esentation.htm

We have a variety we call Alpine -- productive and beautiful beyond belief and a dense highway of roots underground. Drought, blight and pest resistant-- now to convince brewers they want this hop even after the crunch is over.....

Happy harvests wildcrafter!

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou
        Hey I just aquired a couple rootlings, I realize they will not do much with so little of the growing season left this year. If you do not mind answering a few simple questions... How high of a string trellis should I put up in the spring? What are the obvious signs to look for when determining harvest time. I recieved some Cascade and Libery. What kind of yeild per plant would you normally expect? Thanks in advance crafter. Oh and would you be willing to part with a pilot batch sized amount of your native NM hops? I alway enjoy trying something new.
        I don't know how Kentucky will treat your plants. All late summer and fall rhizomes have failed on trials here in NM- are you talking softwood cuttings?
        Trellis height- assume success.
        Yield? Clue us in.
        Pilot batches of hops? How much? PM?
        I love the willingness of a craft brewer to try new..... flavors and more.

AlexisScarlet- Hairless Europeans..... funny, yet kinda truthfull. Not all are that way. It's a flower to veg ratio that relates above ground as well as below. More to it. Not easy. Trellis busters are easy, but the perfection in all qualitites is the hunt- gotta be pickable and more.
        Biology of root exudates is probably the game- sneaky girls AND guys. You're right again about the resistance you mention. I wonder about the molds and fungi. Hops are better than cacti, but fungi kill cacti quick.

AND AHHHH.... convincing brewers they want this. Pertinant. All of my research with native plants revolves around the simple concept of "Who Cares?".

Funny thing is, all of the advice in trying to develop new lines of hops only revolves around "does it make good beer, does it produce, is it pickable, does it get sick, is it clonable and hardy?" Yes, Yes, Yes, No, Yes.

Trials time. Brewers.... best foot forward please.

And so, who care's about Native American Hops?

Comment

We are talking specifically about the female of the species, correct?
          Hairless Europeans and their exudate, very interesting.
          It has been my observation that you definitely see more hairless Europeans these days, as opposed to the '70's "Earth Mama" look, and I can express a preference for it and would prefer to have more of it in my brewery, both feet forward.

Comment

Brewbong- Well I was talking about the females of a species. but the difference between growing and maybe dating is we are looking for thick sturdy hairy Americans who love producing

BrewinLou-
            You can give a hop 12 to 18 feet to grow on a string (strong string) and prune or you can look at a low trellis with mesh at 10 or 12 feet for it to spread sideways. Easier picking. And prune
            A hop cone is done when:
            it smells good,
            when it's color has slightly lightened from bright green to tanner green,
            the stig is dry,
            you can see the yellow lupulin at the bases,
            you taste the bitter more than grass taste when you make some hop tea,
            The cone is more papery and dry then leafy and wet.
            I am wondering since Kentucky is like another country if the hairless Euro's would do better for you. Just wondering. Yield depends on you and food and weather and sun and no disease. A couple pounds would be good

Wildcrafter-- What about planting those euro close to natives. Not knowing much about soil microbiology-- i have noticed the individual plants that border cascade and chinook and cluster are individually healthier and more productive. imagination or syenergy? Also while your hostages try to grab weeds outside of thier buckets-- the Euros head towards the Americans and try to twist on them.

Comment

hip hop try-outs

I would love to "test brew" with some of your hops. I am in the works of opening a microbrewery in North Carolina and right now I am brewing 1/2 barrel batches to test receipes/ yeast strains/ hop variations. How can I get some? What varieties do you have that are commercially viable? Is your yield big enough for commercial applications? Thanks and cheers!

M.A.

Comment

Earth mama- I like it. Don't forget your NANA.

Harvesting everyday now.

Here's a real nice woman we call Latir. She's a pro.

I have to get the harvest in and the data before I know my quantities. It's looking real nice for a great harvest of NM hops.
                Attached Files

Comment

What a beautiful sight, that picture just made my day!

Keep up the good work!
                  Scott Metzger
                  Freetail Brewing Co.
                  San Antonio, TX

Comment

I can make a picture like that too...

if I use the zoom at like 10 X
                    www.devilcraft.jp
                    www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

More picts!

Another variety in the barn! A real nice girl- a woman for sure.

What to name her?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Besides the hop envy...

"What to name her?"
                        What immediately popped to mind was "Sassy" - go figure...
                        So, how much beer has it taken to harvest those beauties thus far???
                        (I'll eventually post some pics of my girls - been dry as the desert in WI this year. They're all rather scrawy/puny 1st yearlings - but they got spunk!)

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBoy
                          "What to name her?"
                          What immediately popped to mind was "Sassy" - go figure...
                          So, how much beer has it taken to harvest those beauties thus far???
                          (I'll eventually post some pics of my girls - been dry as the desert in WI this year. They're all rather scrawy/puny 1st yearlings - but they got spunk!)
                          We had a whole bunch of fun yesterday thinking of names.

"Big Johnson" got the top billing (think of all the t-shirts and more to go with that one!).

3 corny kegs so far. The 12 year olds don't drink but sodas and are great workers. They actually get it. After picking 12 unique individual plants, the kids said of the last plant, "only grow that one because it picks so easy and smells great". What a chance-- to make hop snobs of 12 year olds that know nothing of beer. A new world is coming and growing up quick.

Dry as the desert is great for harvest time. I hope it lasts here. 350 more plants to go!

Comment

I'm lucky I only have 30 plants! I'm getting hit by rain every day!
                            www.devilcraft.jp
                            www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Answers to BrewinLou's questions:

Originally posted by AlexisScarlett
                              snip ... Had a workshop on organic hops and hopyard: https://www.soilcrop.colostate.edu/r...esentation.htm
                              EXCELLENT link, Alexis. I've forwarded it to the members of my Grow-Hops group (currently 2,313 members), and I've also added it to our links page.

Now, to provide some specific answers to BrewinLou's questions:

Q: How high of a string trellis should I put up in the spring?
                              A: I believe the standard for commercial growers is 18' high, but that is because of commercial/farming considerations; hops will grow well with other support structures such as an arbor, or even along a fence. My arbor is 8' tall, and my plants run on an angle (south facing) beginning 4' from the base of the trellis, giving them about 9' to the top, and then they run horizontally 8' to the top of my next trellis, for a total of 17' for growth. This has worked well for me. I have also heard excellent reports from members growing on regular chain link fences, etc. Many run the strings to the eave of their house if they have a two-story home; see the photo on my group's Home page as a good example. There have been a variety of designs discussed on our group, including many techniques for lowering the bines for picking without cutting the bines down.

Q: What are the obvious signs to look for when determining harvest time.
                              A: For me, I notice a browning on the edges of the more mature cones, and a papery dry feel. However, all of your cones probably won't be ready to harvest at the same time; I have mature cones along with lots of burrs that are still just starting to form. Unless you want to do a harvest over a period of weeks by picking just the mature cones and then going back a week later and getting more, about all you can do is pick a time when you think you have the maximum number of cones at their prime, and forget about those that have turned brown or are just forming. Personally, it is so hot and humid here in Arkansas at harvest time that I can't handle picking outside; instead, I cut the entire bine down, bundle it in a large tub, and pick the cones in the house in the air conditioning.

Q: I recieved some Cascade and Libery. What kind of yeild per plant would you normally expect?
                              A: I don't have either one, but Cascade is reputed to be prolific; I don't know about Liberty. First and second year harvests will be smaller than the third and successive years. I harvest seven DRIED ounces per plant from my first-year Fuggles last year, and haven't finished harvest this year. Depending upon the variety, mature plants can produce as much as two pounds per plant, or more; I believe from 1.5 to 2 pounds is typical for commercial growers who harvest all at once like I do. Continuous harvesting over a period of two or three weeks will undoubtedly yield more.

I hope that helps. Here is the portal to my Grow-Hops group which explains that there are two companion groups, etc., and also describes a little bit about what we offer: http://www.tinyurl.com/29zr8r

Cheers.

Bill Velek

Comment

Working...
                              X