making a kegerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a kegerator

I was wondering if anyone here could offer some advice on using a chest style freezer to make into a kegerator. My reason for wanting to use a chest style freezer is that I wanted to have more than one brew on tap at a time. Really my main concern would be whether it gets too cold. I was going to buy a new frigidaire 19.7 cu ft freezer, but then a salesman told me that it wouldnt get above 20 degrees unless it was malfunctioning. My plan was to put an aftermarket thermostat on it to regulate the temp to somewhere around the 40 degree range. The salesman told me that this would not work either. My knowledge of refrigeration is limited, but i don't see a reason why this wouldn't work. Is there something I'm missing here? Has anyone else here done this conversion? By the way, I'm not worried about voiding the warranty.

Any help on this is appreciated
    Troy

Hi Troy,
    I am currently using a chest freezer in my garage for just such a purpose. I took the easier route, however. I plugged the freezer into a programmable timer (the kind with the little plastic set points), I then experiemented with how long should the freezer run to cool the beer but not freeze it. Also, I programmed the timer to begin cooling a couple of hours prior to when I usually have a beer. I found on my older chest freezer, it refrigerates (rather than freezes) at around 3 hours of run time. I have some concern that the constant startups and shutdowns may reduce this appliance's life but I got it late in it's life so if and when it fails, I'll know the end of it's life was the most useful!
    Good Luck!
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Troy,
      Go to morebeer.com or williamsbrewing.com and buy a digital temp. controller ( I think its called the brewers edge controller II or Ranco digital temp. controller, $80-$100). Plug the controller into the wall, then plug your new freezer into the outlet on the controller set the temp and you are ready to rock.
      cheers,
      J. Boy
      Bottoms Up!

Comment

J. Boy has the right idea. I got my temp. controller from Johnson Controls. It's not digital, but works like a charm. My only complaint is having to lift the lid to change kegs.
        BrewerTL

Comment

Working...
        X