Questions re starting a new brewpub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions re starting a new brewpub

To get right to the point, my son and his partner have obtained their license to serve beer and liquor in a new restaurant they are opening; they have their lease and have already started renovations. They are seriously considering eventually expanding it into a brewpub, provided that they can work out a few issues such as acquiring a lease on the property next door for further expansion, whether there would be any zoning issues (odor from brewing), how they would physically accomplish the expansion (how to get the equipment inside), and how much they would probably need to invest. I don't need to get into any discussions of the success vs. failure rate of brewpubs; there are circumstances here that make success very likely.

I am doing the research for them because they are completely unfamiliar with brewing; they will no doubt hire a brewer later if they decide to proceed, but are looking for answers first that I hope I can find. Don't worry; before posting a lot of questions, I'm going to try to find as many answers as I can on my own, so I am planning to purchase "Brewers Association Guide to Starting Your Own Brewery" By Ray Daniels, but would like any comments first as to whether it is a good resource. I am also planning to join the Brewers Association to get any help I can over there. Are there are any other commercial brewing associations or other resources that would help? Any other advice at this point? I'll start checking the archives here now, but I just wanted to introduce myself as a newbie on this board -- but not new to brewing (been homebrewing for ten or twelve years, including all grain).

Thanks for any help. Cheers.

Bill Velek
Working...
X