Help with an off flavor......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with an off flavor......

Out of the first generation of six beers we carry on draft in our new brewpub, and scaling up recipes 8X, we are very pleased with the results of the first "wave" of beer. There will be some adjustments to dial in the profiles we're looking for as usual.

One of the batches is an Irish Red, and there is a bizarre off-flavor that we can't identify. There is a similar subtle off flavor in some of the other beers but it is much more noticable in the Irish Red. Allow me to explain....

The first 4-6 ounces of Irish Red dispensed out of the draft tower faucet has a strange "almond/cardboard" flavor to it. As soon as this is dispensed, the rest of this beer tatstes normal. When the beer sits in the line for an extended amount of time (at least a few hours), that off-flavor comes back in the next 4-6 ounces.

There is literature on off flavors and an "almond/cardboard" flavor is sometimes described as a result of oxidation, however it did not say if it only shows up in the first few ounces of a pour from a faucet. Our draft lines and faucets are brand new. The only thing I can think of is this......

HSA (hot-side aeration) ? - I've never experienced this so I don't know it's effects or characteristics. Sounds unlikely if it's just in the first 4-6 ounces dispensed. Regular oxidation is also possible however good care was taken to keep air out of the kegging process.

"Dirty" co2 ? We force carbonate with standard co2 tanks filled and delivered from reputable welding supply outfits. Our kegs are purged with the same co2 at time of filling.

Draft line or faucet flavor? seems unlikely since they are both new.

PLease help!!

Sounds like the new draft system has a clamp or two that has not been tightened. Switch out your lines w/your mildest beer and see if that is the case. I don't have all of the facts but it could be that all of the draft lines may have a loose connection, probably right at the choke tube.

Comment

I've notcied an off flavor from faucets made of brass - but you said they are new. Could be cheap beer line?
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Stupid question:
        Did you clean, soak, and rinse the system after it was set-up?

I'd say you've got some line flavour plus the aforementioned loose hose clamps. With a good clean and soak, you'll mop most of that up.

When you get the system down to serving temperature, run along the lines and tighten up all the connections. Look for obvious beer leakage - is that tap pouring with more or less head than the other taps (do you have any indications it's not like the others)?

Is the line bent or crimped anywhere in the run?

Comment

How would a loose clamp impart this off flavor? I can't find any leaks in the system. If there were, there would be dripping.

No I did not clean the lines when I set the system up. Probably not the best practice, but new vinyl lines are generally pretty sterile in my experience.

No crimps, no excessive head, no brass, no choke tube.

Comment

Working...
          X