News about drying hops and grains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News about drying hops and grains?

News release about drying grains. I assume it will apply to hops. Any thoughts?

Who doesn't want superior products?

I'm afraid hops would become moldy before ambient air would dry them enough to be stable. Perhaps in NM where the air would be very dry?

Comment

I saw a solar dehydrator that looked pretty good, thinking about that for me next year or the year after...too much late season rain for me to dry outside.

The companies that make dried fish here in Japan have these 'wind rooms' that cycle cool, dry air at moderate strength through the room, fish sit on screens. I was in there for minutes before my lips were dry and my eyes hurt from having no moisture, something like this would dry hops quite fast I imagine...
      www.devilcraft.jp
      www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

My father owned a solar wood kiln in Michigan that would take wood and dry it to furniture grade in weeks. The wood could even be saturated by rain, but dried to a higher standard than fired kilns because of the day-night dry and relax cycle. I think it's feasible for small charges of hops, especially if you introduce a turning system to dry them uniformly. And regarding Jason's fish dehydrator; anything that can dry fish quick enough to prevent bacterial blooms would definitely dry hops quick enough to prevent mold. What kind of % moisture are we talking about for raw hops and dried hops?
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

hop drying

as long as there is good airflow and the hops aren't piled too deeply then ambient air will dry hops just fine, but it will take time. How much time depends on the local microclimate. Humid still air can lead to mildew. If you want to add heat stay below 140F. If your volumes are small, then you can rig a dehumidifier and a poly tent over racks. We have simple plans for free, if you're interested.
          James Altwies
          Director/Horticulturist
          Gorst Valley Hops
          www.gorstvalleyhops.com

Comment

Working...
          X