Filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter?

I have a Della Toffola P&F Filter. Can't find the model. It has 40 plates aand It's a big sob. It's not been used in years and I was a DE filter guy never using a P&F. The plates are really dirty with a brown disscoloration on them. My first question is how do I clean the plates and then clean the unit. Secondly, What's it worth should I try and sell it?

Plate and Sheet ultra-cleaning

1-Obtain 41 loose (5 micron plus) filter sheets. Maybe another local brewer can help.
    2-there are probably (appox. 2x2") squares on the plates w/ 2 little screws. Take these apart and DONT lose screws. Soak these in caustic overnight.
    3-Soak all plates in caustic overnight. You will need a couple clean-large bins for this. Alternatively you mash tun might work. Kettle might work also and you could heat caustic for step 5.
    4- hand scrub the frame with foaming caustic cleaner. Take apart everything you can--including sight glasses and valves. Rinse with hose and put back together.
    5-Next day and hand scrub plates then put them back together and instal on frame. install the filter sheets and tighten up. CIP with hot caustic--back-flush-- But stay below 170f--plates can warp at higher temps. Also there may be spraying and there will be leaking even after tightening down.. WEAR YOUR PROTECTIVE GEAR.
    6-Rinse liberally while still together.
    7-Take unit apart, rinse plates and frame more with hose. Inspect and hand scrub and trouble spots. Throw away sheets
    8- Spray down entire unit with foaming acid sani and let stand to dry.

Whats it worth?? My general thumb for used equipment is 50% of new value at best. IMHO.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Thanks Ted. Next Question, Do I hire an asst. brewer for a day? This is a 50 cm plate fillter and has 40 plates. How much beer can this thing handle. It seems huge to me?

Comment

Assistant?? Thats up to you-- I ran 500-600 bbl/yr by myself on 10 bbl system.

Also that soak and CIP was cleaning for a soiled--nasty filter. Hand scrubbing after hot wash is usually good. Many brewers store plates in sani-- I would use a foamer/sprayer and sani them after use and let them drip dry. Then foam sani again before use.

As for beer flow im used to 2 sheets per bbl with 40cm pads. I think you could do 1.5 sheets per bbl. Of course that all depends on filtering load. Note you can backflush and re-ruse pads in same day--I would run 2 batches (10.5-11bbl actual yield) though 27 pads with 160-170f back-flush followed by cold rinse in between.

BTW- thats for a pub--if kegging/bottling i would use Chem no-rinse cip sani also. (Clo2)
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

Just Kidding about the asst. I do about the same as you do sounds like. Where dddo you get your pads?

Comment

JJS, sent you a PM

Thanks

JackK

Hey Ted, hows the knee?

Comment

Working...
            X