Biobeer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biobeer?

Just a thought about GMO yeast that form resveritol(the good stuff in grapes) created at Rice University.

With the development of such a yeast, will it now be legal to create and sell a beneficial, healthy, good for the body, carbonated, alcoholic beverage, to the general public?

Check this out and let us all hear the feedback.... please.

404 - Page not found - The page you are looking for might have been removed or temporarily unavailable.

Things like this are fantastic concepts. Old doors,,,,,,,creaping open?

History is about to open many doors........and our palates will tell us truth.

GMO Yeast

Biobeer?? As to GMO yeast, I as a customer would steer clear of Genetically Modified beer.

Comment

scientifically speaking, it sounds like a fun bioengineering project, but bad science -- No hypothesis and proves nothing.

we don't even know if resveratrol actually does anything.

Business speaking, there's no market demand for GM yeast, it does not improve production process, and there's too much controversy for marketing...

They should just use regular laboratory yeast for pharmaceutical resveratrol production instead of tempting the brewing strain.

Comment

Intriguing throw-away comment in that article :

there's only one genetically modified strain of yeast that's ever been approved for use in beer
        Anybody know more?

Gregg
        Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg

Anybody know more?

Gregg
          I wondered if anybody noticed that comment.
          I found this link about GMO yeast in beer. Is this it?

Isn't the upshot here that a yeast such as this in beer would result in a beer with supposed health benefits?

Comment

I think a GMO Yeast strain would pair nicely with Roundup Ready® barley (maybe some hydroponic hops to complete the ensemble).

Comment

Originally posted by ancienbrasseur
              I think a GMO Yeast strain would pair nicely with Roundup Ready® barley (maybe some hydroponic hops to complete the ensemble).
              That was funny!!! And hydroponic hops from plants bred with radiation breeding to boot!!!

Can anybody guess, what are the names of the known and patented hop varieties that were bred using radiation knockout breeding? I bet some of you brew with them now.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcrafter
                Can anybody guess, what are the names of the known and patented hop varieties that were bred using radiation knockout breeding?
                Do you mean genetic mutation by radiation? I remember visting an ICI plant in Middlesborough when I was at school, and the lab were working on mutations in this way : irradiate some cells then allow them to reproduce and see what the new gubbins does - every now and then, you will get lucky with a desirable mutation.

I was not aware that new hop varieties were developed in this way, but it seems possible - so do tell.

Gregg
                Gregg

Comment

Anybody know more?

Gregg
                  look for Nutfield Lyte Lager, which is to my knowledge the only commercially available product where a gmo was used. It is brewed since 1995 in england on a small scale level. In this case the gen STA1 was transfered from saccharomyces diastaticus to cultur brewers yeast. This gen triggers the production of starch degrading enzyms such as amylases to allow an easy production of low carb beers. So you combine two yeasts, one wild, one culture.

There are a handful of project out there, which are ready to be tested in the practical brewing, but often the scientist doesn`t even make an application for admission since the customer is not yet ready for it.

What do you say, if I offer you a yeast that is able to reduce free radicals (superoxid-dismutase) in beers prolonging shelflife and taste stability of your product? I personelly would be willing to work with that yeast, i have no prejudices against it, since I consider controlled GM as speeding up breeding and crossing. You could filter the beer and therefore remove the GMO, pasteurize your product, but you still have to claim it and you will never be able to communicate properly the benefits of your product to the costumer, who shuts all doors, when he reads GMO on the label.

I personelly see many benefits of gen modified brewers yeast, faster diacetyl reduction, degredation of glucans, change in protein degredation to increase foam stability...but then again I am a craft brewer trying to communicate that my product is of extrem high quality and absolute pureness, GMO just does not fit in there!
                  Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I think you are right - to be a little simplistic, there are "good" and "bad" GMOs. There is very good reason to be wary of some GMOs, if only for their deliberate functions. All are tarred with the same brush at the moment, in public perception at least.

Perhaps we need a sneaky PR manoeuvre to define such yeast as uhh... "refined"?

Gregg
                    Gregg

Comment

mutation breeding

Do you mean genetic mutation by radiation? I remember visting an ICI plant in Middlesborough when I was at school, and the lab were working on mutations in this way : irradiate some cells then allow them to reproduce and see what the new gubbins does - every now and then, you will get lucky with a desirable mutation.

I was not aware that new hop varieties were developed in this way, but it seems possible - so do tell.

Gregg
                      I guess I'm wrong about the hops and mutation breeding with radiation. The known hops developed with mutation breeding were done with colchicine and not radiation. The IAEA has another list of these hops.
                      Sorry, my bad.

Now, the barley, rice, and wheat are another story that you can read about below; if you click into the site, you can read more of the list.

The International Atomic Energy Agency today called for increased investment in a plant breeding technique that could bolster efforts aimed at pulling millions of people out of the hunger trap.

I guess the upshot here is that we humans are getting used to the mutants and even choosing for them. More than a few choices have been made so far.

Adult mutant ales are coming to your town soon!?!?!

GMO or not GMO? OK by the rules or not OK?? Who cares??

Comment

Oh my gosh! I just found the Charlie Papazian link to mutant hops!!

Is he working with NMSU and their GMO chilli??

Comment

Working...
                        X