Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Root Beer

Hello all.

Sorry for posting a non-beer related topic. Anyone out there making root beer? I have made it several times before on a 15 bbl system, but was curious if anyone out there had any "guidelines" for making root beer on different size systems. I really just want to know how much sugar brewers generally add to a BBL. Or how much extract (root beer #80.459 or any for that matter) is used per BBL.
    Also, anyone out there use sodium benzoate solution? The recipe i have call's for it, but I do not really want to use it in our product. As well, I've used sparkling foam in the past, but my new recipe doesnt call for it... Is sparkling foam a needed thing? Will i get good foam without it?

Any help is appreciated!!!! Thanks all.

Cheers,
    Jon Christiansen, Head Brewer
    Joseph James Brewing Co.
    Henderson, NV

Check out this thread: from Sept. 2007. I've never added the sodium benzoate solution but yes to sparkling foam enhancer. My formula uses 225 lbs. of sugars in a seven bbl. batch.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I'm using sodium benzoate in my root beer (and other non-alcoholic drinks). This is a requirement from the state of Montana. They want to make sure I'm not making tanks of botulism. I don't use any foam additive (except for CO2). I carbonate at least to 3.0 volumes and I get thick, creamy heads on my root beer.
      Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Thanks guys,

The info helps a tun. I used sparkling foam before at my old job, and it did seem to work nicely. I was mainly curious because our recipe came from Sprecher and they use it. Our product will be in a food store that won't carry the product if it has the Sodium Benzoate in it....Thanks for the help!

Jon Christiansen,
        Head Brewer
        Joseph James Brewing Co, Inc
        Henderson, NV

Comment

5 bbl batch
          160# sugar, 12 oz foam enhance

recipe used to call for 200# sugar found taking out some made it easier to drink

G coke is about 12.2P, based it off of that

Comment

aaaagh!

[QUOTE=GlacierBrewing]I'm using sodium benzoate in my root beer (and other non-alcoholic drinks). This is a requirement from the state of Montana. They want to make sure I'm not making tanks of botulism.

Man, I'd be finding the loophole or getting that requirement changed. Plenty of ways to prevent botulism or any other nasties without s.b.!

Comment

[QUOTE=canyon]
              Originally posted by GlacierBrewing
              I'm using sodium benzoate in my root beer (and other non-alcoholic drinks). This is a requirement from the state of Montana. They want to make sure I'm not making tanks of botulism.

Man, I'd be finding the loophole or getting that requirement changed. Plenty of ways to prevent botulism or any other nasties without s.b.!
              Finding a loophole?!?..........With the State of Montana regarding a brewery?!?! .......

.....................BAAAA HAAA HAAA HAAAAA!!!!!!!
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
              X