Poor Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Head

I have one beer that seems to have an issue pouring a head, but only at certain bars. On my own tap system it pours a 3/4" head with no problem. This is a brown ale that is carbonated to 2.60. This recipe has a 950# grain bill with 50# being Cara-Pils. The beer will still taste lively but it is like the co2 just won't break out of suspension. We do not filter this beer currently.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
    BJ Knoke
    Hub City Brewing Company
    "The Largest Microbrewery In Stanley, Iowa"

reading the title I thought you have head retention problem.

Assuming that it really has 2.6 vol CO2, the first thing come to mind is, what's the pouring temperature?

these certain bars probably enjoy subfreezing beer.
    (but hey, if they like to serve people cold beer, and customers like full pints of beer without any head, more to drink, not really an issue for brewers huh? )

Comment

These people have the tendency to want the head for the supposed profit margin. It's a bar that does cater to craft beer customers but they are of the opinion that little to no head = flat beer no matter what their mouth tells them. I experimented with the same batch at my own place and can get a 3/4" at 32 F at my own place with a vigorous pour otherwise it's a 1/4" head with a pour on the side and then down the middle. I'm just a bit frustrated as this is the only beer I'm really having an issue with forming a head.
      BJ Knoke
      Hub City Brewing Company

Comment

Shorter draft lines with lower carb beers will do that. Could that be the case? If they have separate regulators for each keg, bump yours up a couple pounds. Basically the short lines are not turbulent enough to cause the breakout.
        Improperly designed/balanced mixed gas systems also give less head as the keg gets de-carbonated by the shortage of CO2 in the blend at too low a pressure.

Comment

Odd problem, especially if yours is the only beer with this problem (I'm assuming so). The way I see it, it can only be realted to temp. (as stated by Jarviw above), pressure, cleanliness or technique. I would also clean the keg coupler, line and taps again for good measure.

Comment

So do any other beers they pour have this problem? I was going to say that the detergent they're using might not be sudless. Lots of places use detergent that just kills the head the minute it drops in the glass.

Just as the other guys have said, if the temp of your keg is too low OR if there is too much restriction in that line, the CO2 won't come out of solution.

Grant

Comment

From what I understand this is the only beer there with this issue. I think their system was designed to handle more of the yellow fizzy drinks than my lower carbonated beer. This is a chain restaurant and I have a feeling they set the system one way and expect all beers to pour the same out of it. I know if I do a cheater's pour here i.e. pull the handle half way then all the way I get a nice foamy glass with little beer in it. I suggested they try that but I doubt they will want to teach their staff how to pour this way for one style of beer.
              BJ Knoke
              Hub City Brewing Company

Comment

2.6 v CO2 is right around where all other light colored fizzy drinks are, so yours really isn't that different. Besides, chances are ALL of their beers are under the same CO2 supply pressure, going through the exactly the same length of draft line -- having each draft line dialed in for individual beer is just a brewer's wet dream.

That said, after a week or so your beer should be at exactly the same CO2 level as all other ones. But only your beer like to stay clear without foam?

Again, I am assuming all draft lines are designed equal, all kegs are receiving the same CO2 pressure at the same temp. but deep down I suspect the draft line is the culprit...

Still another possibility, maybe you got the other distributors' dirty trick. Apparently it is not uncommon for competing distributors come in and mess with other companies' draft lines. They can tweak your CO2 pressure (or simply shut it off), clog your coupler, and all kinds of other nasty little things.
                You will have to be there to know if the draft line for your beer has been tempered.

But seriously though, if they really do care so much about not giving their customers that extra ounce, maybe they should train their bartenders to properly pour the beer -- it sounds like your beer is fine, at least in your hands.

-----
                To be most constructive, maybe you should go check the place out yourself. Watch how the bartender pours your beer, watch for the flow rate (it should be around 2 oz/sec, or about 8 sec a pint. faster is ok as long as it still pours clear, slower is most likely bad), and bring a thermometer!
                Last edited by jarviw; 11-07-2008, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Possible Sanitizer issue?

Is it just your beer or is it all the beers they serve? Some of the sanitizers that are used contain Quaternary Ammonium because its cheap. Some examples are liquid gallon sanitizing products and the blue sanitizer tablets.

The Quat leaves a sort of film behind that prevents the beer head from lacing down the glass. This film is somewhat slippery to the bear head and causes it to not form properly.

- Try taking a glass from your brewery or location and pour a beer at some of these problematic locations. You can rule out or rule that its the glass cleaning regiment based on whether your beer pour in your own glass is forming a head.

Comment

Residue?

Residual caustic, or other alkaline cleaners, not fully rinsed from your brew system/tanks can cause these problems. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                    X