Crossflow filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossflow filters

Has anyone tried a Crossflow filter for beer? I am looking for an alternative to filtering with DE and need to filter about 20 HL per hour, would like to know if anyone has tried this type of filter and how it preformed. Dave

I haven't personally used X flow but the company has at various sites - all much bigger than this sort of flow rate. They are very expensive to install, certainly compared to something running at 20 hl / hr. There are a couple of basic types. The first uses a centrifuge to remove most of the rubibsh (yeast / large proteins) before "polishing" with the X flow. Another main type uses vibrating membranes to reduce the clogging of the filer membrane. High flow rates are required, which means large pump energy, and because the system is a partial recirculation system, it builds up heat pretty quickly, so a decent refrigeration system is also required. Cleaning requires a dedicated CIP set normally, along with lots of automation. I have to say that I really don't think one of these systems would be economically viable for a small setup. Even the big boys find it a bit iffy - and are looking to long term costs particularly for health and safety and disposal costs associated with kieselguhr. Some people are not convinced it works well for ale type products. The ones I have heard working OK are all filtering lager type beers. 'fraid I don't know any exact details on flavour problems etc though.

Possible suppliers - Norit, Schenk (look up krones), Filtrox, alfa laval, sartorius

Good luck with this project, and I wish you well, but I'm afraid I don't think it will happen on this scale - at least not for a good few years
    dick

Comment

Working...
    X