New salesman needs advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New salesman needs advice

Hoping someone can provide advice on accepting credit cards.

I represent a new brewery that will sell primarily kegs to bars and restaurants. I am interested in knowing what percentage of accounts typically pay with credit card. Also, want to know if most sales occur on the spot or are phone in with follow-up delivery. Finally, what credit card processing equipment gives the best cost/value proposition? (on-line, wireless terminal, etc.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

One man show

Being a one man show, you must improvise...

I bill all customers, 0% with credit card, 70% COD and 30% pay 15-30 days by check. Depending on where I am, I sell case beer out of the back of my SUV on the spot and bill by mail. Kegs are always delivered after ordering or checking depletion myself. I will tie in deliveries with sales calls and line cleaning, whichever is due or makes the most sense logistically.

It all depends a bit on your sales radius and time needed to get from A to B...

Comment

Cant say as far as billing as PA is a COD only state. Otherwise the Verifone Omni online machines have always served my family (multiple businesses) well.

Comment

phone follow up

One would think that people would call when they need beer and there is no need to follow up per the motto "let them come to you." I used to think that way. Our sales have gone up dramatically due in part to aggressively following up all accounts (in a friendly way) per phone. Develop a rappor with the people, go out and visit them occasionally. I guess it depends on the size of your outfit. I'm fortunate to stay most of the time in the brewery. The sales folks put up a list of what kegs are needed and we're all happy campers.

Comment

Look into setting up a virtual terminal through paypal. You enter in the CC number and info on their site and the money goes into your bank. No equipment to buy. Just monthly fee and percentage.

Tom ECBC

Comment

Originally posted by Sulfur
            One would think that people would call when they need beer and there is no need to follow up per the motto "let them come to you." I used to think that way. Our sales have gone up dramatically due in part to aggressively following up all accounts (in a friendly way) per phone. Develop a rappor with the people, go out and visit them occasionally. I guess it depends on the size of your outfit. I'm fortunate to stay most of the time in the brewery. The sales folks put up a list of what kegs are needed and we're all happy campers.
            This is so true. When I used to drive a route for deliveries once a week, even when we didn't have orders from some accounts, we'd call to see if they needed/wanted any more beer. Probably 75% of the time the answer was yes.

Don't wait for them to call you, call them...most of the time they'll be happy because you saved them the trouble of calling.
            www.devilcraft.jp
            www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

I process all my credit cards through Intuit (Quicken/Quick Books). They have by far the cheapest monthly fees, which was big in my book, and no terminal lease fees or purchase prices. If you sign up with them, they give you Quick Books Pro for free. That's abou a $350 value. You process all your payments through the quick books softward. It's real easy and if you get one sale w a card that you wouldn't have gotten by check or cash, it pays for itself.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate all the great advice. Based on your feedback I am considering both the Quickbooks and a plan from a local bank. It's good to know I have a few options.

Jon Hayward
                The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery
                Charlotte, NC

Comment

Working...
                X