How long to cold-condition IIPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to cold-condition IIPA

We're trying our first double IPA in a couple weeks. If I'm shooting for 19°P OG, 9% ABV, how long would people recommend cold-conditioning it before filtration and serving? I want to let the alcohol smooth out a bit, but don't want to let the fresh hop flavor settle out or stale.

Ipa

Originally posted by Woolsocks
    We're trying our first double IPA in a couple weeks. If I'm shooting for 19°P OG, 9% ABV, how long would people recommend cold-conditioning it before filtration and serving? I want to let the alcohol smooth out a bit, but don't want to let the fresh hop flavor settle out or stale.

HI Woolsocks:

Filtering your IPA?

Let me give our procedure:

Yeast used W1056 highly flocculating!

4 days to FG
    2 days at 50 *F
    5 - 6 days at 34*F

TRANSFER (very clear) to Servingtank.

BTW: At second day in FV's we draw cold trub etc.
    After cooling to 34*F, we draw yeast from the cone almost daily,
    until no yeast is flowing out.

Cheers

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Scheer
      HI Woolsocks:

Filtering your IPA?

Let me give our procedure:

Yeast used W1056 highly flocculating!

4 days to FG
      2 days at 50 *F
      5 - 6 days at 34*F

TRANSFER (very clear) to Servingtank.
      Fred, a lot of people employ that "half-crashed" 50°F phase, but I've never understood the advantage of doing that vs. just going straight to 34°F. Can you explain the benefits?

Comment

cold conditioning

Originally posted by Woolsocks
        Fred, a lot of people employ that "half-crashed" 50°F phase, but I've never understood the advantage of doing that vs. just going straight to 34°F. Can you explain the benefits?

HI:

The major reason for doing so, is that the Brewpub applying the procedure is selling CASK and Bottle conditioning Beers.
        Holding at 50*F for two days, gives me enough yeast (count ~ 5 MIO/ml)
        to conditioning in both containers.

Cheers

Fred

Comment

Crazy. We use the same yeast, and also do cask ales. I don't routinely count them, but from the look and from the way our casks carbonate quickly, my yeast seem to be plenty happy to have been dropped all at once. I go from diacetyl rest straight to 36°F, hold there for a few days, fill my casks, and filter the beer. It stays quite UNclear until the filter (and finings in the casks) convince the little buggers to go away. Of course, my 15bbl tanks are 11 feet tall - a long way to fall.

Comment

We typically ferment our double IPA for around 7-8 days, add a few more days for D-rest, blow off cone yeast, dry hop for 1 week and then crash. Our cold condition is usually 7-10 days. Usual brew day -> pub serve is around 4 weeks. I find the rough hop edges smooth out some and dry hopping profile seems to more "balanced"...probably not the correct term for a Double IPA but if you tasted the flavor progression over the cold conditioning period you would understand. Have fun...

Comment

Working...
            X