Coffee stout style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee stout style?

Getting ready to brew a coffee stout this spring, looking for input as to what style of stout works best with the coffee flavors. Dry, sweet, oatmeal, foreign, American, or imperial? Or just wing it?
    Thanks!
    Paul Thomas
    Brewer
    Sockeye Brewing
    www.sockeyebrew.com

I've always been a big fan of Oatmeal Stout as a base. 16 degree, 25 IBU and really good beans.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

mmm coffee stout...

I will give a big second to David's recommendations. I use Malted Oats and the cold toddy method for the coffee. Mine comes in at 17°P, but i will let that one slide.
      Jeff Byrne

Comment

I love that oat malt. T. Fawcet? I got a deal on oat malt from Odell's Brewing years ago. Five bags for the price of freight from CO. I didn't realize the bags were 50 k. It took awhile to go through it all but it was so good.
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Wow that sounds great!! Making me thirsty

Comment

Malted Oats

The first time i did use the Thomas Fawcett, but our purveyor stopped carrying it (which is a shame). I now use the Simpsons Golden Naked Oats, It's a bit sweeter and has almost a berry-like nutty flavor. In fact just used some in my dunkel.
            Last edited by Jephro; 01-27-2009, 01:29 PM.
            Jeff Byrne

Comment

coffee stout

i use a sweet stout with lots of chocolate malt, 25 IBU's and a cold toddy. works great. nice session stout.

Comment

Well the last stout I did was an oatmeal, so I guess it will be a sweet stout, with Lactose added for Coffee Milk Stout. No cream or sugar required.
                Paul Thomas
                Brewer
                Sockeye Brewing
                www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Just did a Coffee Stout

I used a 15 plato, Sweet Stout base for my Coffee Stout. Made toddy coffee and put it in the boil for the last 10 minutesl. I'm going to add more coffee in the secondary tomorrow.
                  Last edited by Geoff Logan; 02-09-2009, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X