Better head retension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better head retension

What do you guys use for more head retention? I've tried gum arabic in the bright tank, it worked okay but i'm looking for something to add to the mash or boil.

Good Head

Flaked Barley, Carapils, Oats...but
    You shouldn't have to add anything to get a good head retention
    My best results come from bunging the fermenter and transferring to a BBT under pressure keeping that natural head.
    Jeff Byrne

Comment

I agree that if you mash carefully, and transfer & package your beer gently without foaming the product, then you won't need anything else. Remember that beer generally foams only once. The proteins responsible for a creamy head are denatured once they foam and will not be available to form a head again. Also agree with Jephro that "spunding" a fermenter at the last 1.0-1.5 degrees Plato of fermentation can improve foam quality and reduce your CO2 requirements. And again, if you want massive mousse-like head, then perhaps you could use flaked barley or wheat (maybe not oats due to lipids and I don't find Cara-pils to form any more head than without it).
      If this doesn't work for you and you want to "cheat", and if you're not averse to "chemicals" in your beer, you can use PGA. Propylene Glycol Alginate. Lots of small brewers in Australia use it. I just don't think you need to pay for prepared chemicals when you can get the same thing "naturally". Good luck and hope you find your head! Cheers!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

In addition to the suggestions above, make sure you are not doing an extensive protein rest. Today's highly modified malts don't really need one, and if you hold a protein rest longer than about 10 minutes, you run the risk of breaking down too much protein, killing head retention.
        -Lyle C. Brown
        Brewer
        Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Yes, triple underscore: treat it with kid gloves and you should be all right. However, if you want insurance and like to avoid adjuncts, chit malt is a good choice (no lautering issues also), but you have the same problem with needing a protein rest, and while this is happening, you are breaking proteins in the fully modified malts. A protein rest is problematic if you are only doing it for a minor component.

Comment

A Homebrewer's Perspective

While it may impact clarity, there are a few notable homebrewers that will add flaked wheat to improve head retention.

Comment

source?

Have you had a look at the source(s) of your head retention issue? Look at your entire process and you won't need to add anything. As mentioned above, the mashing program and beer handling/transferring are likely sources. Also, excess kettle finings can be quite the head robber. After you remove the sources of head problems and you still need better retention then look at ways to improve via spunding, addition of quality malts, flaked wheat, chit malt etc.

Comment

Carbonation and dispense

Another point you may want to consider is the level of co2 in your beer. A well carbonated beer will hold a foam cap better than a flat one.

If the head retention issue is in your glass then the dispense plays a huge amount to do with head retention. Basics like clean glassware etc are all good pointers but you could splash out and get neucleated glasses to form more bubbles. The best barmaid who pours our beer fills it 3/4 with a bit of foam and lets it settle till it goes "shiney". She then tops it up to the top and the foam is fantastic - you get proper luscious ice creamesque foam!

Comment

Recent research from the UC Davis Brewing Lab points to the benefits of minute amounts of zinc for head creation and retention. I don't recall the ppms. Be aware of the toxicity of excessive zinc to yeast, as well as the fact that yeast will take zinc out of your wort as it is essential for its growth.

Comment

Another plug for looking at glassware first. It's so much easier to screw up your head with glassware treatment than with any brewing technique or ingredient.

Comment

Fix mashing regimes

I read a tidbit somewhere from Dr. Fix where he recommended at short rest between 158-162F (I believe). We tried it with our pils...no results yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X