Used DE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used DE

Anyone out there have any luck mixing their used DE with spent grain to feed pigs, and cattle? I am thinking that if it is mixed well enough it would be allright and not harm the animals.

Thanks

Chris Brugger

Troegs Brewing
    Chris Brugger
    Brewer
    Otto's Pub and Brewery
    814-867-OTTO

I thought DE was an approved dewormer for animals. It's used to kill all the gut worms in animals,,,lice on chickens,,etc....bugs. Very spikey structures to impale the lungs and soft bodies of insects--DE. Used in organic farming as a fabulous tool-DE( I use it often). Nematodes-DE. The list of benefits is endless,,,until you breath it. Ever hear of silicosis? Miner's lung and more? DE could be a potentially viscious version of harm,,,without a mask. Sharp silica and hard.

Love to here why used DE is bad to feed to animals. Any other thoughts of harm?

Comment

Dental Plan

I had wanted to mix it into animal feed aswell but I know if DE is fed too excessively to animals it can grind down their teeth to the point that they're useless.

Comment

Actually I would be more concerned about the yeast in the DE as far as animal feed.

Mike
        Mike Pensinger
        General Manager/Brewmaster
        Parkway Brewing Company
        Salem, VA

Comment

The yeast in the DE is also a concern. My thoughts are that it is not a large amount of spent DE/yeast slurry that we would be dumping compaired with the spent grain. Currently we go through about 15 ton of spent grain every 3-4 days. And we have less than 10 gal of spent DE/yeast per filter run. I am thinking that if the farmer mixes it up well then it shouldn't be a problem.
          Chris Brugger
          Brewer
          Otto's Pub and Brewery
          814-867-OTTO

Comment

Yeast in DE

I wouldn't worry too much about yeast in the DE.

Autolysed yeast is a very good cow feed as it contains alot of protein and b vitamins as im sure you're aware. If you're a human and eat too much yeast you can end up getting gout from uric acid - this happened in the USSR as people were fed cattle feed. Cows stomachs can cope with the specific proteins in yeast and break down the uric acid so generally speaking is safe.

Comment

Working...
            X