Anyone using S-04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using S-04?

Our brewpub has switched from Wyeast 1272 to Fermentis S-04 for ease of handling. The flavors and characteristics are very good for us. It flocculates very well with minimal aging, and the flavor is mild and works well into our recipes. The convenience of dried yeast is great. We use this for our Stout, Brown, IPA, Irish Red, Blonde, and a range of specialties including a few American-style wheat beers flavored with fruit.

Has anyone else switched to this yeast?

Just used it and I'm switching now.

Comment

Fermentis S-04

I've been using it for about three years now. Never going to switch. Versitile, broad ferm temp tolerance, very little diacetyl, some esters if you try hard. It doesn't overattenuate my mild ale which finishes at 3%abv. It also agressively attacks my 21P stout and takes it to 7.5%abv. I use it for every ale.

Comment

Yep

we use it for Pale Ale, Irish Red and Stout. Getting about 77-80% attenuation, flocs well and very mild esters.

Comment

S-04

I'm been using S-04 for a long time and i really dig it.....consistent, reliable, and the flavours are great......

Tariq (Big Ridge Brewery)
          Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
          Vancouver, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Is anyone re-using it? I pitched (homebrew) on it and had a diacetyl bomb, even after 3 weeks. fermented out quick, but never cleaned up after itself.

Comment

Yum yum yum. I've made great bitters and milds with it.

Comment

Originally posted by twoodward15
                Is anyone re-using it? I pitched (homebrew) on it and had a diacetyl bomb, even after 3 weeks. fermented out quick, but never cleaned up after itself.
                strange...we re-pitch often and never experienced that

Comment

vs US05?

How do you like it vs. US05? I find many of the same comments posted above apply to it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by twoodward15
                    Did you aerate the wort it well or add yeast nutrient if you didnt your going to have Diacetyl problems on a yeast cake from dry yeast especially after the 1st generation .

Comment

Great reliable yeast, IMHO. Quite a neutral flavour profile which has benefits and drawbacks depending on your intent.

Never had di-acetyl problems on re-pitch.

Would definitely recommend it.

Pax.

Liam
                      Liam McKenna
                      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

thought I'd bump this up again. What mash temps is everyone targeting for this yeast....just wondering because we're trying to get lower TG and already oxygenate and use yeast nutrient.

Comment

I mash in anywhere in the 151-155 range for this yeast.

Comment

Rehydrating?

For those out there that are using dry yeast, are you rehydrating it or just pitching it the fermenter?

If you are rehydrating, I am interested in the methods/equipment that you use?

Do most of you use the 500g "brick" packages?

Thanks and take care!

Comment

S-04

I like to re-hydrate in a bucket with a bit of sugar to get it going. Then again I know brewers who just sprinkle it in the F.V. and they have had great results.
                              I use the 500 g bricks.

Cheers

T
                              Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
                              Vancouver, B.C.
                              Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X