New Brewer Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Brewer Questions

I'm a first time brewer if you can count it as brewing, it was more like making kool aid mix. I used a beer mix from www.beermachine.com I'm sure you guys have seen this. Anyways I didn't use the beer machine since I have had so many problems with it. Instead I'm using a 6.5 gallon Poland springs plastic bottle. You all are probably already shaking your heads, but to top it off I don't think I have an air tight seal.
    So my questions are:
    Do I need an air tight seal to brew?

Is using bottled water bad instead of chlorinated tap water? (Since I have well water I thought it might be better to use some Poland springs.)

If I did have an air tight seal would it blow up a 6.5 gal plastic carboy brewing a 5.25gal batch?

Thank you for your replys and answers in advanced.

explosions

If your question is whether or not a 6.5 gallon fermenter would explode if sealed tightly during the primary fermentation, the answer is probably yes (depending on how much beer you're fermenting).

You need to make sure that gas can escape from your fermenter during the most vigorous part of the fermentation. Most homebrewer use an airlock for this. Once the beer is almost entirely fermented, you can seal the beer up for carbonation or conditioning, but not before.

Hope this helps.

CT

Comment

You should pop over and check out the homebrewer forums at http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/index.php I am sure you will get some great answers there as well as more exposure.

Comment

Working...
      X