Ipa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipa

Any ideas on IPA? I am thinking about making an IPA, but I just can get 3 kind of malt, 60°L crystal, chocolate and base malt, how can I mix them to get it
    Hope you can help me
    Sincerely

Assuming your base malt is an American 2 row Barley, Chocolate malt should not comprise more than .5 percent of the grain bill but that is not common. I would use the Chocolate very sparingly in your recipe. Your Crystal 60 could be as much as 1.0 percent of the grain bill and be well within the style guidelines.

Let us know what you descide and how it turns out!!

Cheers!!

Scott

Comment

Ipa

Its necessary to use chocolate malt?

Comment

No, you would be using the chocolate malt as a coloring agent, in the small amounts mentioned above....if you wanted the beer to go more dark amber/red in color.

Using the 2row/pils/pale (whaterever you have) base along with the 60L crystal at 3-10% should get you into the light amber/amber range in color and minmal to slight caramel caracter in the beer.

JackK

Comment

Ipa

Im thinking to brew an IPA around 30 IBU´s, and 1.055 OG, txs for your advices

Comment

OK, now we need to know what you are after. Are you brewing a commercial offering or a home brew for yourself and your friends. If it's the first, and you are in the U.S., you are going to want to produce an IPA that is slightly heavy on IBU's. You can use Cascade or Chinook and shoot for at least 65 - 78 IBU's. If this is for you and your friends, determine which commercial representation of an IPA you like and attempt to duplicate the bitterness profile of that beer. I like mine hoppy on the grapefruit citrus side, so I bitter with Galena for 60 minutes, Amarillo for 15 and finninsh with Cascades for the last 5 minutes of the boil. IBU's for my IPA - 70+!

Cheers!!

Scott

Comment

Ipa

Im the owner of a small microbrewery (4 BBL per batch) I ussually brew three kinds of beer, Irish Red Ale, Pale Ale and Stout, I never brewed and IPA and my costumers told me if I can brew it for them, so I´d like to start brewing it the best I can. Hope you can give me a hand. I´m at Colombia
              best regards

Comment

Here is a style guideline for the India Pale Ale:

I also think you need to go a little heavier on the hops. You need to differentiate it from your pale ale.

el

Comment

Ipa

How many IBU´s do you think I should get? I ´ve got that chart, but I´d like to know how many IBU´s for IPA is ussually brewed at microbreweries
                  best regards

Comment

English IPA has 40-60 IBU's

American IPA has 40-60 IBU's

It depends on alcohol content and how malty it will be. if you go to the link i provided above, there are more in depth profiles of each beer.

You must also consider your customers. If your regular pale ale is in the lower range of IBU's, then maybe stick to the lower end of the appropriate IPA range.

What is your brewery, and where is it located? I am just curious.

el

Comment

I agree with ScottM, punchy bitterness, late addition aroma hops. I like to match my IBU's with the SG. i.e. 1.055 SG 55 IBU.
                      Cheers & I'm out!
                      David R. Pierce
                      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                      POB 343
                      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Ipa

My target may be between 1.055 to 1.060 OG, Im not sure about how many crystal 60°L to use. I just can get 2 row base malt, crystal 60°L and chocolate, my Brewery is Bristol and we are at Pereira (Risaralda - Colombia)

Best regards

Comment

235 pounds of 2 row Pale Malt, 21 pounds of Crystal 60, 1 pound of Chocolate malt will with a single step infusion deliver the gravity you're looking for ~1.058 with a nice amber color. If you would like it lighter, drop the Chocolate Malt. What hops do you have in inventory?
                          Last edited by Scott M; 03-10-2009, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Ipa

I just can get Northern brewer 9.2 % AA, that´s the only hop I can get

Comment

23.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes, 16 oz @ 30 minutes, and 12 oz for aroma at 5 minutes should deliver about 55 IBU's, all NB hops at about 9% AA.

Comment

Working...
                              X