Lemon Grass Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemon Grass Usage

I was thinking about adding lemon grass to a summer ale and I have a few questions since I have never used it before. How much would you recommend using? When would you add it? And, would you add it with any other spices, I was thinking with some bitter orange peel?

I would like to thank all of you out there in forum land for your responses up front.

Sincerely,

Jim Lieb
    Rocky River Brewing Co.

I judged a Lemon Grass and Lime beer in the GABF a couple of years ago that was pretty good.

Not sure how they added the lime though.
    -Lyle C. Brown
    Brewer
    Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

I am making a beer with lemon myrtle, ginger, lime besides some other special ingredience and for me works an alcohol infusion best.

You take a certain amount of lemon grass ( 0,8 pound) and cover it with some pure ethanol ( 1-2 liter). I like to dilute the ethanol to about 28-35 %. And let it sit for some time before you recover the infusion.

Then you can play around by adding that infusion to your finished beer. To get just the level of intensity you looking for.

I personelly like to stick to similar flavors when using a herb. So in your case I would try lemon balm or lemon myrtle even lime will for work fine i think. And why not lemon peel? Other possibility is to pair it with a certain hop and its aroma, maybe Cascade or Chinook.

good luck
      Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

When I have homebrewed with lemongrass I have added it with 5 min left in the boil. So the whirlpool seems like a good time/method to me.

FreeState in Lawrence, KS and Square One in St. Louis, MO both make lemongrass beers, you could check with them.
        Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

45g at knock off does the job for a 5bbl batch. You'll get that Froot Loops deja vu aroma without being able to name what it is. I guess it depends on your recipe as well and what you want to achieve.

We also add it to the fermenting vessel, just at the end of fermentation and it worked well too.... but that was in a wicked beer, so I can't elaborate more than that.

BTW: for the meere few grams you need, find the best herbs you can find at any price. It does make a difference. Don't buy the powder

Zb.
          Last edited by Zucker Bee; 04-14-2009, 07:31 PM.

Comment

I have made a Thai Chilli beer and the spices/herbs are added when you would normally add hops late in the Boil . The beer is based on a Low hopped American wheat beer fermented with a clean Ale yeast at low temps .You only have one hop addition at 60 mins (you can also FWH) .

This beer has coriander seed,galangal root,ginger root,lemongrass and Thai chilis in the Spice/Herb Mixture .

At 30 Mins you add 1/3 of the herb/spice mix
            15 mins you the next 1/3 of the mix
            2 Mins you add the last 1/3 of the mix
            Last edited by matthendry; 04-15-2009, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X