Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invert sucrose sugar?

Hello all,

I am brewing a Belgian Golden Ale and I was thinking of inverting cane sucrose myself by way of citric acid and boiling. However I was wondering if the addition into boiling wort being an acidic solution would invert the sugar? Also if inverting first is necessary how do you neutralize the solution after it is inverted? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    William Golden
    Head Brewer
    Barley and Hops
    Frederick,Md
    Will Golden
    Head Brewer
    Barley and Hops Microbrewery and Grill
    Frederick,Md
    will@barleyandhops.net

Invert Sugar

Hello,

I gave a presentation in Feb. at the Rocky Mountain Microbrewing Symposium on brewing better Belgian-style beers and a component of the talk was on making your own invert sugar/candi sugar.

Here's a link to where you can get the powerpoint presentation. It's under "download 2009 presentations HERE!"

There are a number of files in the zipped folder, the one you want to look for is called abbey-saison.ppx. The bit on sugar is a few pages into the presentation.

I've experimented quite a bit and have found that making your own invert and adding it to the boil helps. Plus the small amount of acid added to split the sugar is negliable.

Hope it helps,
    Alan Stiles
    Brewer
    Shamrock Brewing Co.

Comment

There have been several good discussions on invert sugars here on PB. I don't know how they compare to Alan's presentation but are worth a quick look.
      Cheers & I'm out!
      David R. Pierce
      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
      POB 343
      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Very nice presentations, thanks for the link

Comment

Thanks the link is awesome it will come in very handy. I have read most of the discussions about inverting sugar on here thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
          Will
          Will Golden
          Head Brewer
          Barley and Hops Microbrewery and Grill
          Frederick,Md
          will@barleyandhops.net

Comment

Working...
          X