proper disposal of chemicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proper disposal of chemicals

Long story short, I was credited for a 5 gallon container of a lousy iodine-phos sanitizer. My sales rep left the company, and told me to just get rid of it. What is the proper way to do this without upsetting the water company, and tearing the earth a new butthole?

If you had used this product, what was the dilution rate and where would the effluent had gone?

I would pour it down a floor drain a little bit at a time and dilute the hell out of it. Do a pint a day till its gone.

Comment

"The solution to pollution is dilution"
      Paul Thomas
      Brewer
      Sockeye Brewing
      www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Why waste it?

Why not donate it to a homebrew club or something of the like. Probably last them years. I know many don't like iodaphor, but some still do. In fact i keep some around the brewery as an emergency stash and as a general sani for stuff not immediately going on or in a tank.
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by pbutlert
          "The solution to pollution is dilution"
          Not true in all cases. Say 1gal of a "waste" has a disposal cost of $X. If you mix it with 50gal of "?", you now have 51gal of something with "waste" that has a disposal cost of $50X perhaps,,,unless the "?" might neutralize or render harmless the 1 gal of "waste".

Comment

You could contact Safety Kleen and see what they would charge to dispose of this for you.

Safety-Kleen offers environmental products and services. Safety-Kleen provides waste management, used oil recycling and re-refining and more.

Comment

You have the MSDS for this stuff, right? If not, contact the manufacturer or look for it online. It will have handling and disposal instructions. It's not legal to sell any potentially hazardous substance for commercial use without the MSDS; not sure about giveaways.

Any dairy farmers in your area? They would probably be happy to take it off your hands. Or you could just use it for general non-beer-contact sanitizing (floors, bathrooms, etc.) till it's gone.

Comment

Find a proper use

First, what's wrong with it? If it's just dilute/not to spec/but usable, then use it yourself or post online to find someone who can use it. I'm with jerrymcmahan on the dairy idea. They go through it just like you do.
                We used to use a hazardous material exchange (like a Craigslist for Chemical Companies) that was sponsored by the King County WA (Seattle area) solid waste authority.
                There are proper uses for out-of-date, no longer used, chemicals.
                If you don't know what it is or what's wrong with it, give it back to the rep and let them puzzle it out.
                Of course, the dilution solution will get you through, but it's a missed opportunity to waste it. You may find a new business relationship in your current predicament.
                Best,
                Scott Bruslind
                Analysis Laboratory
                Lebanon, OR
                “We’re your friends,” said my attorney. “We’re not like the others.” HS Thompson (1937-2005)

Comment

waste not...

want not. Just check around plenty of people use iodophor, like dairies etc. You could always use it for sanitizing glassware.

Comment

Originally posted by Jephro
                    Why not donate it to a homebrew club or something of the like. Probably last them years. I know many don't like iodaphor, but some still do.
                    Agreed, although I was going to say sell it to a homebrew club

Comment

The sani has foaming agents in it, and leaves a slimy film behind. After about 2 minutes, my pump begins to cavitate from all the foam. My sales rep said other brewers had the same issue, and he believes it's a manufaturer's error. As I said before, he credited my account, but has since left the company that sold it to me. They don't want it back, and he doesn't want to deal with it either. The person at my local homebrew shop said they will take it and split it amoung their club members, despite it's flaws.

Comment

Working...
                      X