terrified of torrified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terrified of torrified

I'm about to brew my first commercial wit.

I'm still a bit skeptical over how much I can use. I'm not worried about a stuck mash, but I am worried about the beer having enough FAN.

1) Can I / Should I mill the flaked wheat? Does it make a difference?

2) I want to use a Begian Aromatic Malt. Problem is, it's 20L. What alternatives are there?

Thanks!

Dick

Don't worry, relax, have a commercial brew.
    I will bet the FAN will be OK. A little 20L won't destroy the color...the flavor surely is more important.
    Flaked stuff shouldn't need to be milled, but I have put it through the mill for convenience- blending with the whole malt so as not to gum up the mill.

Comment

On the FAN concern: If your base malt is high in protein, that will probably help. You could consider using a portion (or all) American 6-row malt for your base to boost enzymes, protein, and make lautering easier. That said, I bet a nice continental pilsner would taste better if you can get enough FAN from it and not stick your mash.

Personally, when making wheat beers, I use pilsner base, but do a protein rest -- you'll convert some of those long proteins, which you have loads of, into amino acids, which you might be short on due to the heavy adjunct use. Failing that, consider adding some unmalted/flaked barley to the mash to boost FAN.

I also keep a stock of rice hulls handy for doing wheat beers so I have a prayer if the mash sticks.

Usually "aromatic" just means "dark munich" malt. Consider a pale munich malt, 10L or less, from Belgium or Germany. Weyermann Munich I comes to mind.

On the wheat flakes, whatever is the easiest way to get them into the mash tun is the right way to handle them -- just don't throw a big load of flakes through your mill all at once! Makes for a bad day...

Comment

Working...
      X