Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question

Folks --

Having read many advertisements of used equipment for sale I have come across the following phrase several times; "tank is jacketed and clad". I assume that jacketed means that the tank is wrapped in a stainless jacket which contains a glycol pipe assembly. What does clad mean? Thank you.

Cheers,
    V

Not exactly sure but maybe once the cooling jacket is around the tank an additional layer of stainless or copper (what they are calling the clad) is applied around the jacket insulation in order to provide durability to the vessel along with cosmetics. I think all cooling type tanks are clad.

Could be wrong but that is my guess.

J. Boy
    Bottoms Up!

Comment

That's right. You can put a cooling jacket on a single-walled tank, or you can put a jacket and another wall around it, with insulation in the unjacketted areas. Hence, single-wall or double-wall construction.

Cheers, Tim

Comment

the jacket would be for cooling , but clad is a way of saying more
        $$ . clad is to make them pretty, that is about it.
        if you have a brewpub ,most people like clad.
        if you work in the brewpub-brewery you dont like it
        unless you like polishing copper.
        stainless is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers and happy mardi-gras

N.O.L.A-RuM
        cheers,

Lijah Foregger
        lbeer2@rocketmail.com

Comment

Quote "..but clad is a way of saying more
          $$ . clad is to make them pretty, that is about it."

Sorry, but I have to differ. A decent tank for fermentation, and in my opinion also maturation and bright beer, either for packaging or dispense direct, should have a cooling jacket suitably sized and supplied with glycol / brine, + individual temperature control fit for the purpose. It should then be insulated, and finally clad in appropriate damp proof, cleaning material proof, bash proof, material, be it fairly rigid plastic sheet, copper, stainless or wood, of aesthetics suited to the environment. e.g. copper or wood for a serving area (a certain amount of "olde worlde" bullshit never did any harm in most places. Personally, I find wood difficult to recommend as it is porous, soaks up spills, damp and stains, and is a pig to keep looking good long term, especially if using caustic detergents, but...

My two pennyworth..

Cheers
          dick

Comment

I have to agree with Dick's comment on wood as cladding material - be it in the brewhouse or fermentation cellars - it is difficult to keep clean but is a great spot to grow mould.

Comment

Working...
            X