Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feasibility Studies

Hi,

I'm thinking of starting a small production brewery. I'm in Vancouver BC which is a fairly large market.

As far as 'feasibility' goes, I'm pretty confident it is, but I want to do some extra due diligence. Can anyone point me to some good resources for completing an effective feasibility study.

What are the most important, or often overlooked aspects? What experiences did you have? What did you miss?

Thanks!

Well firstly - I wish you well. I came across from the UK for a couple of weeks for a serious look at one brewery. Sadly it went formally bust soon after I turned down investment for just that reason - shame, as I would still love to brew those beers. However, the point is that I am aware of a number of small breweries that have come and gone in the last few years in Vancouver, so you need to make sure you get it right.

I don't know how amenable these guys are to sharing infomation, but try contacting the breweries up in Whistler and Fernie. I know they are both in ski resorts, but the similarities must hold good.

One word of warning - don't position your brewery miles from your main sales area as you really cannot afford to spend your life travelling to and from the brewery to the sales area, no matter how good the incentives.

And from my limited experience, the liquor store managers are key to home drinking sales - make good friends with these guys.

Good luck

Cheers
    dick

Comment

Thank you Dick,

That will certainly be part of my plans. I feel the demand here is growing and/or changing thanks to several great restaurants and bars that are educating palates. So hopefully we see more real craft brewers!

I am starting to reach out to a few of the guys I admire in town. I would hope they share my view that we can sustain more great breweries (and fewer mediocre ones), and that arguably, more competition will make the industry stronger as a whole by promoting knowledge and diversity in our market. But what do I know?!

Comment

Working...
      X