recycling effluent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recycling effluent?

Are there any uses for effluent in it's "as is" state? We are in the process of getting a business plan together for a micro and are wondering if anyone does anything with effluent other than pre-treat and send off to the treatment plant. I've read of some that use holding tanks/ponds, but they appear to be part of the pre-treatment process.
    Can effluent be used for irrigation or is the pH too far off?
    Being in an area that suffers through drought, it might help with water use permits if we can plan for recycling the effluent. I realize it is probably a reach, but it can never hurt to ask...

raw material

Effluent can and should be looked at like a raw material. Looking at each source and diverting for proper individual usage makes the most sense. Most brewers are aware of the value of "spent" grains as a raw material but even some larger craft breweries are becoming aware of the late runnings/ and initial rinses from the lauter tun which can generally be directly applied to the fields for a slightly fortified irrigation water. Other rinse water that is light in load can also be direct applied after a short settle time to remove sediment. However, it can be a challenge to keep the containers from getting nasty. If you need to deal with a lot of chemical effluent such as caustic you need a proper series of ponds with alkaline tolerant plants/algae, fish etc. and help from the experienced.

I hope others will share what they are doing alternatively with their liquid raw material.

Comment

I know of a nearby brewery that sends all their brewhouse and cellar drain waste to a dairy. The city was "not friendly" to the potential increased sewage load when they upped production.
      The brewery bought a used tank truck, and sold it to the farmer for a dollar. Once the liquid was on the road in a farmer-owned truck, it was no longer a hazardous product, but instead an agricultural commodity, and thus all the regulations reversed from mean and nasty to friendly and cooperative. Purportedly it dilutes the cow "effluent" making it better to fertilize the pasture.

Comment

Working...
      X