Private Label Beers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Label Beers

We haven't had a survey in a while and this conversation comes up all the time around the bar. Under what conditions will you (or not) label own of your own beers in package or tap handle for a customer. Please explain your pros/cons after voting. Thanks and...
    Yes, for very good customers
    56.52%
    No, I don't care how good a customer is we don't do it
    4.35%
    Yes, If we get permanent additional placements
    21.74%
    No, Our beer is awesome and you're not worthy of our good name
    8.70%
    Other - explain
    8.70%

The poll is expired.

Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

I'd do it in a heart beat. A sale is a sale. if it doesn't sell no loss. most consumers won't realize its my product. if it sells well all the better for me. I won't advertise that it was a unique product but I won't also say it was a relabeled beer. if anyone asked I won't hide what it was also

Comment

I would probably say no. Mainly just because overall it is a misrepresentation as to what your getting. The same way that I don't really care for beers that are contract brewed but marketed to the hilt. I wouldn't criticize someone for doing it. If it makes the "rent" and really provides a much need revenue stream go for it. If you do intend to do it I would tack a premium on top of it. Whoever is selling it may be getting "brewpub" recognition and increased per pint sales revenue off of your hardwork, equity, and recipes.

Comment

Personally I'm against private labeling my beers for someone else. I've been through many iterations of these "contracts" and the brewery is the only one holding up its end of the deal. Local chains, big corporate chains, doesn't matter.
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I think that one of the pillars of the craft beer movement should be authenticity. So relabelling your beer as a private label is deceiving the customer and cheapening what we are trying to do. If its great beer, stand behind it and make sure the retailer is giving you credit. Just my two cents. You gotta do what you think is right.
          Linus Hall
          Yazoo Brewing
          Nashville, TN
          www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

In my opinion, for my brewery, it comes down to a question of short term thinking versus long term thinking. Sales that don't promote the brand "Duck-Rabbit" give me money today, but they do nothing to build my brand for the long term. I might consider something if it were clearly labeled as a Duck-Rabbit product, but otherwise, I'd prefer not to do it.

Cheers,

Paul Philippon
            The Duck-Rabbit Brewery
            Farmville NC

Comment

Paul, exactly my thinking. "A sales a sale" = short-term thinking, promote my brand = long-term. I used to "brew" a beer for a local Irish joint, started 1994 and is still on tap, their menu clearly stated brewed for us by XYZ. Now the menu reads "Brewed exclusively for us". Even though I've left that brewery it still bothers me. Where's the love?
              Last edited by beertje46; 09-02-2009, 01:48 PM.
              Cheers & I'm out!
              David R. Pierce
              POB 343
              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

An interesting thread just popped on Louisville HotBytes Restaurant Forum regarding a local pizza joint releasing an amber ale "brewed" exclusively for them...
                Cheers & I'm out!
                David R. Pierce
                POB 343
                New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

What is the legality of private label, or I guess, how does it work. How do you lable them and do you have to register it with the ATB every time?

Comment

It is likely more a state issue. Still, the word "whore" comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
                      It is likely more a state issue. Still, the word "whore" comes to mind.
                      What he ^ said.
                      Cheers & I'm out!
                      David R. Pierce
                      POB 343
                      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Someone's brewing my beer

Interesting twist to this conversation. I went to a restaurant that we've been supplying for the past 2 months, sat down and asked what they have on tap. Was told that they brew their own beers, just as they make their own pasta and breads. Ordered their lighter beer and lo and behold, it was our very own hefe-wit. Assuming that the waitress was a little green, I asked where they brew their beers (the absence of a brewhouse was a little conspicuous). Without flinching she says they brew it in their facility north of Tel Aviv. Again, thinking that she was just new (though a very accomplished liar), I asked the manager later where the beer is brewed and got the same story. At this point my GF is getting really steamed but I decided not to act impulsively so bit my tongue and didn't say anything.

What we decided to do - yes, a sale is a sale. OTOH, we see every point that we set up as a marketing tool for us and here we certainly weren't getting any PR benefit from this one. We basically decided to treat this point as strictly sales with no other support from us - no glasses (which of course they wouldn't want anyway), no volume discounts, no equipment, no specialty beers, etc.

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth? You bet.

Wish we could have pulled the plug on them.

David

Comment

I'm a brewer. I brew beer. Sometimes for me, mostly for others (customers).

If I had excess capacity and someone wanted me to produce a private label beer for them, I would do it in a heartbeat. I have done many times over my career. Sometimes it didn't work out but, most often, it did.

We need to use our resources (capital, human and other) fully, efficiently and intensively. Failure to do so is failing yourself, your company and your employees.

If that makes me a 'whore' then I embrace the term. Better to be a busy 'whore' than some sad bitter lonely dogmatic egotist with not enough to do.

Pax.

Liam
                          Liam McKenna
                          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                          X