Plate and Frame question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plate and Frame question

I am pretty new to the plate and frame world. I am using a Della Toffola 40x40.

I got HS1600 filter pads for it and am trying only to make a bright beer. We are a brewpub and want the beers clear. I seem to be having really slow filter runs with this set-up. Have I gone too fine on my filters? Should I step up a little? All I want to do is filter the yeast out.

Mike
    Mike Pensinger
    General Manager/Brewmaster
    Parkway Brewing Company
    Salem, VA

I use 25 sheets of hs2000 with good results in a 14 bbl brewpub, 56 yeast with good very clear results (45 min filters). The 1500s may be a bit fine.

Comment

Originally posted by beermkr
      I am pretty new to the plate and frame world. I am using a Della Toffola 40x40.

I got HS1600 filter pads for it and am trying only to make a bright beer. We are a brewpub and want the beers clear. I seem to be having really slow filter runs with this set-up. Have I gone too fine on my filters? Should I step up a little? All I want to do is filter the yeast out.

Mike
      Hi Mike,
      Boy oh boy, have I been there!
      This is the "magical procedure" I found. I pressurize the receiving tank (Brite) to about 15 psi, connect that tank to the donating tank (FV) via the CIP arms and a long hose. Open both CIP valves so now both tanks are at the exact same pressure. Then, connect my hoses from the FV to the pump to the filter to the BBV. I make sure to dump any excess yeast that is in the FV valve port so I don't blind my filter early. (Oh yea, I also wet down the pads BEFORE I crank it shut. Wait ten minutes, crank it down, then run cold liquor through to fully saturate the pads. Crank down a little more. Purge liquor out with CO2.) I allow the filter to fill with beer from the FV using only the tank pressure, not the pump. When I have all the CO2 purged from the filter with beer. I close the filter valves, turn on the pump, SLOWLY open both the input and output filter valves to about 1/2 and monitor the flow into the BBV. This allows me to get filter times of around 40 minutes for 10BBL using a 40x40 K300s.

Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

What is your FV at before you open the CIP valves? Are you putting head pressure in it first?

Also are you carbonating in the FV first?

Thanks

Mike
        Mike Pensinger
        Parkway Brewing Company
        Salem, VA

Comment

Originally posted by beermkr
          What is your FV at before you open the CIP valves? Are you putting head pressure in it first?

Also are you carbonating in the FV first?

Thanks

Mike
          HI Mike,
          The FV pressure BEFORE I introduce the pressure from the BBV is usually around zero. Once I open the CIP valves, the "system" equalizes around 13-15 psi.

I carbonate in the BBV, after the FV and after the filter (although I do have a T on the bottom of the BBV with a carb stone in it. As the freshly filtered beer passes on it's way into the BBV, I get a little jump of carbonation. Usually able to get about 1.5 volumes in the batch this way during filtration.)
          There might be a more "proper" way to do all this, but I was trained and schooled to be a brewer. I didn't get much cellar training and NO filter training. So take if for what it's worth (works for me).

Prost!
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

You, my friend, are a god!

Not sure if it is the "magical Procedure" or the longer settle time but I am flying through a batch of IPA as I type!

Thanks!

Mike

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing
            Hi Mike,
            Boy oh boy, have I been there!
            This is the "magical procedure" I found. I pressurize the receiving tank (Brite) to about 15 psi, connect that tank to the donating tank (FV) via the CIP arms and a long hose. Open both CIP valves so now both tanks are at the exact same pressure. Then, connect my hoses from the FV to the pump to the filter to the BBV. I make sure to dump any excess yeast that is in the FV valve port so I don't blind my filter early. (Oh yea, I also wet down the pads BEFORE I crank it shut. Wait ten minutes, crank it down, then run cold liquor through to fully saturate the pads. Crank down a little more. Purge liquor out with CO2.) I allow the filter to fill with beer from the FV using only the tank pressure, not the pump. When I have all the CO2 purged from the filter with beer. I close the filter valves, turn on the pump, SLOWLY open both the input and output filter valves to about 1/2 and monitor the flow into the BBV. This allows me to get filter times of around 40 minutes for 10BBL using a 40x40 K300s.

Prost!
            Dave
            Mike Pensinger
            Parkway Brewing Company
            Salem, VA

Comment

Thanks Mike.
              I agree, I am a God!
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com