Brewing & Septic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewing & Septic

Is there anybody out there that's had any experience with septic systems used by small scale breweries? Are holding tanks used? How does one scale a system for the size needed? Is it even feasible to brew (say a 10bbl / 1000bbl annual) with septic to handle the waste? Thanks for any input.

Septic tanks for breweries

Yes, with reasonable intelligence a septic system is fine. I have been using one for 12 years. Your county may want an engineer to design it or at least stamp your design. I just moved and built a new system and have old tanks available. First, you must screen everything that goes down the drain (last spent grain crumbs, etc) so as not to overwork the system. Balance your acid and alkali cleaners. Don't use chlorine,- peracetic is perfect. Try to limit the yeast going down the drain as much as possible and dispose of yeast separately. (Find some gardeners who want compost)
    The septic tanks are critical. The most important part of the system for a brewery is to settle out the yeast. You will need enough linear distance for the yeast to fall out of suspension before exiting the tanks. Plan on enough septic tanks for 3 to 5 day residence time. You will need more septic tanks than normal systems, but your leach field is normal based on gallons per day.

Comment

I hope that you are at a stage where you have some ability to influence the design of effluent handling within the brewery (ie: drain location, diversion to variable waste streams, etc...) I agree with Moonlight about screening your effluent streams. We ran our combined waste streams (brewery, not brewpub) through a small parabolic screen (www.ipec-screens.com) which made collecting and disposing of anything over 2mm easy to do.

Obviously, we had to be hyper conscious about any sources of effluent and looked to divert any clean water streams to the outdoors (water seals we had on pumps, etc). Because we were a production brewery (approx. 50000 bbl), we had to collect and haul away effluent but similar rules apply. We started with a small CIP system where we collected our CIP solutions (caustic and acid) and tested and topped up the concentrations as needed. This also made for easier chemical handling and eventually we added dosing equipment. This can be done in a brewpub very effectively as well.

We cut a deal with the farmer that picked up our grain to take all brewhouse liquid waste as well in a plastic tank we rigged up. If you can denature your yeast (steam?), you can add it to the farm waste. We even had a local university and a sheep farmer looking at using our filter waste (DE and yeast) as it helped with parasites.

As much as everything is relative to size and effort, a 1000 bbl brewery can make similar efforts which can take a big chunk of the load off a septic system. Good luck!

Comment

I know of a brewery in Northwest Montana that is isolated from any municipal systems and therefore must handle all their own brewery effluents. They do some interesting things such as spray nearby fields with the effluent after neutralizing any chemicals. It is possible but it takes quite a bit of effort and money.
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

I am at that point too, I have found a good location to place my new brewery a 25hl system which will one day (hopefully) brew over 5,000hl per year. But I am running into yet another snag - septic system and the Italian Buracracy.
          I doubt any of you have experiance with the Italian Buracracy but maybe you can help me to explain how I can still brew with the septic system.
          I can start by explaining I can filter and seperate solids - yeasts and neutralize cleaning solutions. Over size the septic tanks as well. Any other Ideas to make a convincing argument?
          www.Lervig.no

Comment

Wetland treatment system

Hi, have you considered building a wetland treatment system. It actually takes less space than a sludge pit. MUnicipalities use them in around the world. Basicly it is a wetland that is fed the effluent and the plants remove the nutrients. It is recognized in the USA but the locals may give you some problems. I have built on for my 10 barrel system but am yet not in production.
            Doug A Moller
            Brewmaster
            The Moller Brew House
            (405)226-3111

Comment

wet lands, I had actually given it a thought being that I worked on one for a University project at Temple U.

I imagine I could propose it as a solution, next they'll want my to use solar power and wind mills. All good, but a long shot over here.
              www.Lervig.no

Comment

We are setting up a 10bbl micro and sales facility, and have approached a reputable water treatment consultancy for their advice, since we are on a remote property with no access to scheme wastewater/sewage disposal and little available plot space (the rest of the prioerty is planted with grapevines).

Their proposal is for a very cheap packaged system, based on series-connected plastic anaerobic, aerobic and clarification/sterilization chambers. Will cost less than A$10000 and also handles the sewage. Produces clear, clean water with which we will irrigate the lawns and gardens. Total footprint is 1.2m x 3m. Very simple and robust.

So, I recommend talking to an expert, as the result might not be as expensive as you think, and they will take care of all the council approvals and design detail...allowing you to concentrate on what you really want to - the BEER!

Comment

You may also want to check with the folks at New Belgium brewing in Ft. Collins CO. They do some interesting things with their effluent, and may be a good reference to claim as having such a system up and operating successfully.

If you don't mind those windmills aside that is...

S

Comment

Re treating yeast, Active yeast is loved by pigs, and I believe cattle. The only problem is it continues to ferment inside them and they blow up (not sure how literally, but it is reputed to be very unpleasant) To make it possible to use, treat with formic acid to kill the yeast off. I haven't done this for a good few years, so cannot remember what sort of volume and strength acid to add to what mass of active yeast, but perhaps this is a pointer for someone.

Cheers
                    dick

Comment

I gave some used malt to a farmer and he claimed I killed his cow, first off the cow ate most of it and he didnt mix it. Secondly how can he be sure.
                      Said the cow bloated up like a balloon and keiled over dead.???

Maybe it was malt sensitive
                      www.Lervig.no

Comment

We had a local dairy farmer take all of our spent grain, and he fed it straight to the cows. They loved it, no problems. He said they'd actually rush over to the truck when he'd pull in with it...

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Feeding Cows

I also gave our spent grains to ranchers who fed there cattle with no problems except the cows chasing the truck when he had barrels in them. At another place we gave it to hog farmers who said the pigs loved it and it fattened them up well. I want to try to feed fish with it. Does anybody have experience with that?
                          Doug A Moller
                          Brewmaster
                          The Moller Brew House
                          (405)226-3111

Comment

Working...
                          X