Microbial typing - API, Oxi/Ferm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microbial typing - API, Oxi/Ferm?

I've been kicking around the idea of supplementing out microbiological program with some sort of a quick-and-dirty ID/typing tool. Quick searches turned up the API set of plates, and the BBL Oxi/Ferm system. Has anyone ever used these before? How idiotproof are they? How accurate? Everything I read says the API system is more accurate than the BBL, but then, wading through the vast number of plates API has available has left my head spinning.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Darel

Way back in university we were introduced to the API system in bacteriology towards the end of the year. Tried it a few times in laboratory. Was truly amazed at the ease of use to determine species level and often genus as well. It was pretty cool and very easy especially compared to the other techniques we had been learning and applying all year.

The demonstration included all sorts of different bacterial types.

You will, of course, still need to plate and culture samples prior to API. You really need a pure (not mixed) sample (ie. isolated colony) to begin your API determinations. You may also need aerobic, anaerobic and low oxygen incubation conditions to get to that starting point as well (depending on the types of bacteria you think you might be looking at). You may also need to have a few different types of media on hand , again, depending on what you think you might be culturing.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Thanks Liam! Everything you mention we've already got going in our current micro program, so API looks like a winner. Anyone have any idea which plate is the most comprehensive for breweries, most notably lacto/pedio/perhaps wild yeast?
      Thanks again,
      Darel

Comment

Sorry Darel, it's been way too long. Ha!

Pax.

Liam
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Api 50 chl

API is great for the ID of gram pos beer spoilers. API 50chl.
          Gram neg can get complicated. Call a sales rep from Biomerieux and you will get it cheaper than from a catalog.

API 50chl you need the strips and media. you also need to sign up for the website for your results. I think it is about 125$ per year.

Cheers
          Shawn

Comment

wild yeast API 20C aux. very easy to use.
            Shawn

Comment

microbio

Can you please post the link to the web site?

Comment

Breweries fall under Industrial. Biomerieux sells mostly to the health industry.

Comment

Thank you Shawn, we've got a rep coming here next week. Anyone know if the 20C Aux will pick up weizen yeast as wild?

Comment

Not sure. API 20c aux will only ID saccharomyces cerevisiae as saccharomyces cerevisiae#1 or saccharomyces cerevisiae#2. Its only good for non saccharomyces cerevisiae wild yeast. I have only used it a few times.

Cheers
                    Shawn

Comment

Working...
                    X