Acid Hefe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acid Hefe

So, i have been brewing hefeweizen for about 6 years now and came across a new problem a couple of weeks ago. Instead of the characteristic banana/clove combination, I came out with a sour orange that had a strange burning sensation when tasting. Had the feel of stomach acid. Variables: 65/35 wheat to barley Wyeast 3068 yeast repitched for the 1st time, temp in the low 70s.

Any suggestions on what this might be?
    Cheers!

How old is the grain? Is there any possibility that it's been exposed to moisture/humidity? If so, there's a possibility that your grain has been "soured" naturally and that usually carries into the finished beer. If not, look to your sanitizing regime, as you may be picking up acid bacteria somewhere from the HX to the fermenter.

Comment

hefe

What was the pH of your mash?
      Did you followed the pH through the process?

The pH results could give you a good indication what went wrong.

Comment

I had the same problem before. (see my post before), I crashed the temp to 5C and waited for about three weeks. The sour eventually went away. However, never knew what went wrong.

Comment

Thank you for the responses so far. I find the grain theory intriguing, but the wort tasted fine coming out of the brew kettle, so my thought was that it must have been post-kettle that something happened. Wouldn't the wort be sour if it was the grains?

Any possibility of it being a problem with the yeast?

Comment

temp

I've had this same problem with 3068 in the past. For me what fixed it was checking my temperatures during fermentation. I had the sour taste show up when it fermented too warm. So I would check your temp probe.

I also found that I was underpitching and the added strain to the yeast made the sour taste.

Fixing both these (and starting with new yeast) fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.

Comment

i had this problem with too many generations of hefe yeast...tasted like the lemon wedge was already squeezed into it

Comment

WL 300 has been a great strain for me...giving me predictable results for numerous generations at a 65f ferm temp. Sounds like a yeast/fermentation issue not a grain one. Whats the ph of the product coming out of the tap?
                Last edited by Loch; 07-10-2010, 11:00 PM.

Comment

lactic infection?

Comment

I agree with Fred: pH, what's the pH?

Comment

What's the pH of a year old thread?
                      Cheers & I'm out!
                      David R. Pierce
                      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                      POB 343
                      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment