Spent Grain Stench!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent Grain Stench!

Our spent grain silo had a complication and drained a bunch of liquid into our dirt/gravel area and it stinks, bad....Anybody have any solutions/ideas that have worked to remedy this situation?

Bags of lime are used for manure or sewage spills.

Comment

I know that people often use bags of limes to reduce the stench of bottled Corona, but perhaps there's a more industrial solution out there. What about the enzymatic washes used by death scene cleanup crews? They're supposedly capable of making a slaughterhouse smell like a fresh spring day. Spent grain smell was a big issue at the last place I worked, but I never bothered to research this angle.

Comment

We have a gravel area that smells pretty bad sometimes in the summer. I have sprayed it down with chlorine dioxide, (Oxine) with pretty good results.
        Danny McGovern
        Brewer
        Monhegan Brewing Co.
        Monhegan Island, ME. USA

Comment

Stink

You can try peroxide I used it to kill the bacteria in ponds and it also should leave oxxigen in any standing water.

Graydon

Comment

I don't know what the regs are in the States, but in the UK at least, if it is going for animal feed, the silos have to be cleanable. Nothing fancy such as with caustic, but a regular washout with hot hot water to remove any residues and control the bugs level. This requirement ensures the silos are emptied regulalry so this sort of incident is unlikely to arise in the first place
            dick

Comment

Working...
            X