Pre-milled Organic Malt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-milled Organic Malt

I am planning on brewing 100% organic european style ales and I am having a problem finding a grain supplier that is certified to mill organic grain. I dont have room for a mill, and if I did it would block my handicap accessibility, not to mention the garage door I rely on for deliveries! Any help would be awesome. I wanna brew my first batch the first week of October!

You could just use a homebrew mill.

Comment

I would think Briess Malting would provide this?? Or you might try Southern Brew Supply in Florida.
      COAST Brewing Company

Comment

Most major suppliers offer this. Brewers Supply Group, Crosby and Baker I know do as I used to order malt from BSG pre milled. They only mill on certain days, clean the mill and then mill the organics on an oppositional schedule. I am pretty sure that Briess did this as well from what I remember from a tour I took of their facility.

Comment

Have you tried North Country Malt supply? I know they have half a dozen organic malts in their catalog and offer pre-milling. It would surprise me if they weren't storing and milling to organic standards.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

organic

One way you won't have to clean your mill, is to run at least one bag of organic malt through at the end of the previous batch. Just substitute a bag of base malt with a bag of organic base malt.

Comment

The milling issue

Briess does not carry all the malts I use. I could special order, but that will increase my costs. The issue I am having such a problem with is that malt suppliers are certified to take bulk organic malt and bag it, but they are not certified to mill that organic malt and bag it. It would seem illogical not to have this in place as well. AND HAVE YOU TRIED TO MILL UP TO 4000#s USING A HOMEBREW MILL? NOT GOIN TO HAPPEN!

Comment

You must know that 4000lb batches of malt almost scream to be milled on-site. Especially since I assume you will be brewing more than once or twice a week. The process quality control, freshness of on-site milled grain, and cost savings of buying bulk, unmilled malt in IBC bags would demand a malt milling room. Or perhaps a mobile mill? We milled with a Kunzel malt mill in one of the tiniest breweries in the world (and we were only a 5 bbl brewhouse!). It was on rollers and took up less than 1 square meter. The ROI on something like that would be less than a year. Let alone the other benefits of tighter quality control and fresher ingredients/better beer. Can you build another shed or perhaps rent space somewhere near for malt storage/milling? That would give you more room to expand at your current location. Sounds like you need it. Especially with a start up! Good luck and I hope your venture takes off!
                Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Update.........

Thanks for all your help. A few things I have found out.

1) Briess is certified to mill organic grain.
                  2) Weyermann is also certified to mill organic grain
                  3) a few other malt suppliers are looking into certification for organic milling.

I will update if I find any thing else out! Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X