Are these hops male?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these hops male?

So my landscaper "weeded" my hops mid season. SOme came back up, rather well, but they have purple flowers. As this is my first year growing the... did the stress turn them male?

Here is a picture.

Uh?

I'm pretty sure those are morning glories... Definitely not the right leaf shape for hops. And hops don't have purple flowers.

Comment

I didn't think so, but I'd love to know how the garden got infested with morning glory's then. It was a new bed with new soil. I've not seen the 'flower' open up either. I have heard about stress turning hops male, but I haven't been able to see what a male hop plant looks like.

Comment

Definitely Ipomea spp. (morning glory).

Here's a link to a photo of a male hop flower:

Pax.

Liam
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Morning glories can reproduce by underground root systems that are extensive! They can root (like bindweed) from leaves and stems and they bear a ton of seeds that are often scattered by birds
          So your "infection" came from existing plants near or under your soil

More pictures of male plant and one of those tranvestite plants in Ali Hamm's presentation Page 55 and 56. The whole workshop might be interesting.

And you can not weed away an established hop plant. They just keep coming back!

Comment

Working...
          X