USC student starts Hop Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USC student starts Hop Farm

Track my progress from an unused field to an organic Hop and Barley farm.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you all know about the blog I just started concerning my Hop Farm in South Carolina. Im going to be posting updates regularly as I make progress, I hope I can get to know a few local brewers in the process. I will after all be trying to sell you my products at some point.

Give it a look if you would. Thanks!

Good luck with the molds and mildews that humid climate will likely encourage. IIRC, that is why hop farming moved out of VA into upstate NY in the very early 1800s.
    -Lyle C. Brown
    Brewer
    Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Well, a large number of hop farms in a small area really compounds the problem, and since i will be the only semi-large plot of hops in the state, I dont have to worry about the farm down the road giving me powdery mildew.

It is certainly a concern though.

Comment

Originally posted by David Hicks
        Well, a large number of hop farms in a small area really compounds the problem, and since i will be the only semi-large plot of hops in the state, I dont have to worry about the farm down the road giving me powdery mildew.

It is certainly a concern though.
        Good luck! Sounds like a hell of an adventure and a lot of fun.

Are you planning on bailing? How about cold storage? Kiln of some sort to dry?

seperating cones from leaves and stem?

160 plants. How much of an acre(s) are you planning?

Comment

Well, Im planting about half an acre. My first year I hope to sell my entire harvest wet to local breweries for harvest ales. If I can not pre-sell them all, I can make an Oast out of plywood, insulation, a space heater, a box fan, window screens and a thermostat. Pretty simple really. You dont have to get the temp very high at all.

For the seperating of the cones from the bines, Im talking to the USC engineering department to see if some of their graduating students would take it on as a senior design project. If not, the local homebrew club has offered their manual picking labor in exchange for fresh, local hops.

I will not be baling, as the hops will either be consumed within a day or two of harvest or sold by the pound or ounce to homebrewers in vacuum bags. Again, with cold storage, a couple chest freezers should be enough for my left overs after I sell them fresh to breweries.

Most breweries in the southeast have never had an opportunity to do a harvest ale, so Im certain that many would be interested (I know that Coast, in charleston expressed interest on BeerAdvocate.)

Comment

analysis

How are you going to analyze IBU's?

Comment

Don't forget that the dried bines are often prized by crafters for wreaths and the like. You can probably make a few $ off that.

BTW, I sincerely meant the "good luck" part of my earlier comment (on re-reading it my post may have come across as rather flip, which was not intended).
              -Lyle C. Brown
              Brewer
              Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Im going to analyze the AA% in the USC lab using the methods prescribed by ASBC the day before the harvest of each variety (so that I can tell the consumers the AA% the night before the hops are picked.)

Thanks for the tip on the bines for baskets and such!
                Last edited by David Hicks; 09-10-2009, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Thats really cool, sounds like you got it worked out pretty well! When I make it back to the south land (I'm a displaced southern boy)I'd love to see your farm.

P.S. You know the Dawgs are gonna whup the GameCocks right?

Comment

Of course they are... that's generally what happens right?

Comment

Good luck David!

I had plans to grow my 30 hop pilot farm to 200 plants this year, but I broke my leg in March just as my bines were starting to come up! Still though, I got some good insight into mineral deficiencies, pest control in the area, and got a better idea on expected yields from different varieties...so not a total loss!
                      www.devilcraft.jp
                      www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Working...
                      X