craft beer pricing heirarchy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• craft beer pricing heirarchy

Given the popularity of strong abv and 'extreme' beers it seems to me there's quite a range in price to wholesalers or retail accounts in the craft beer arena. Maybe more variation/broader range than ever before.

I started thinking about this b/c my distributor keeps saying 'but sierra nevada is only $45 for 1/6 bbl!'. He thinks we should charge the same since we're in the same league, I guess

So I'm basing my question on the assumption that the 'low end' for wholesale craft beer 1/6 bbls is maybe $40. What is the high end/what is the range? From my investigations it seems that 1/6s go for up to 100 bones wholesale depending on style/class. This assumes no self-distribution I suppose.

I guess the market will bear this? Are most startups like us competing pricewise w/ the 'large' craft breweries? Is there a 'farmers market' thing going on here where people will pay more for fresh, local products?

Thanks for your thoughts/knowledge

Great question

What did you find with your own experience (this being a year old)? I am, right now, where you were when you wrote this question and I love to see what you found. Any info would be used by myself and countless others.
    Greg
    Greg Schertzer
    Howling Henry's Brewery, LLC
    info(at)howlinghenrysbrewery.com

Comment

Just to chime in, Sculpin sells for $90 wholesale. DFH 90 Minute also is in this ballpark. Prices above that are uncommon at best.

Comment

All the sixtels of craft IPA that I see are priced between $57 and $60 (with DFH 90 at $100.) Sixtels of higher ABV beers seem to be around $65 per sixtel (but some cheeky craft brewery has its dubbel sixtels listed at $80 - unwarranted in this case!)

Comment

I had considered selling 1/4 bbl's at $70, now I'm thinking more like $80, is this out of line? I have my first two brews in the fermentors right now. Most of my beers are above 6% abv, and I will be self-distributing. What does everyone think?
          dangerously good ales.

Comment

I plan on looking at the current price list of local crafts from wholesalers to bars and pricing somewhere in the middle. No way I could compete with the big craft brewers - economies of scale. I plan on doing a few specialties which can command a higher price if people really like them.
            Page Buchanan
            House of Brews
            Madison, WI

Comment

From a retailers perspective I can tell you that the craft 1/6 barrels I buy are about $70 but I've paid as much as $300+ for very high gravity beers like the Avery Demon's of Ale series. If the beer is of good quality and you do a good job selling it I don't think retailing for $70 to $80 for a 1/6 barrel is out of line.

Distributors always underestimate the consumers desire for craft beer and this leads them to do a very poor job selling beer that isn't $65 for a 1/2 barrel
              Owner
              Grind Modern Burger
              PostModern Brewers
              Boise, ID

Comment

Working...
              X