Garlic Beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic Beer?

I'm looking for a garlic beer recipe. Does anyone have any suggestions for infusing garlic into a beer? Any experience with this?
    wondering, wondering.

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Brew something with 100% Columbus?
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

LOL David. How about 100% Summit! Unfortunately I have......

Comment

Originally posted by Beersmith
        LOL David. How about 100% Summit! Unfortunately I have......
        Summit would definitely work. Maybe use 100% Summit in the kettle and dry-hop with Columbus. This mix will give you the whole garlic profile with an onion back. Gooood luck!
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

How about when do you think would be a good time to add the garlic? I'm thinking of crushing several cloves, steeping them and adding to the boil at some point.

.............?
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Many years ago the sponsors of a local garlic festival asked me to brew a garlic beer to serve during the festivities. Needless to say, I was pretty skeptical about the results, but they turned out better than I presumed.

After trying several methods, the best way we found to infuse a beer with garlic flavor is to braise (bring to a boil and simmer) large 'elephant' cloves in milk for 15 minutes. The milk will reduce the 'bite' that garlic has and cooking it at 212 deg. will keep it from getting too bitter.

Cool and add the cloves inside your tank or keg in nylon sacks, similar to dry hopping methods, for a few days.

Comment

Trying to cash in on the Twilight craze?
              Perhaps dry-cloving in the fermenter?

Comment

"dry-cloving"
                I like how that sounds!
                Glacier Brewing Company
                406-883-2595
                info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Brew Brothers in Calgary used to do one called Antonio's Garlic Pils. Every bottle had a whole chunk before filling. God awful stuff if you're not expecting it. Fantastic for cooking with, though.

Comment

I homebrew a garlic beer for a local fest once a year. It turns out... well... garlicy.

Make a basic pale beer to 10P. For 5G I add 1 bulb garlic crushed raw and 1 bulb roasted with 5 min left in the boil. Then I add 1 bulb crushed raw and 1 bulb roasted into the keg. Lots of flavor and aroma.

Comment

Originally posted by organicbrewer
                      I homebrew a garlic beer for a local fest once a year. It turns out... well... garlicy.

Make a basic pale beer to 10P. For 5G I add 1 bulb garlic crushed raw and 1 bulb roasted with 5 min left in the boil. Then I add 1 bulb crushed raw and 1 bulb roasted into the keg. Lots of flavor and aroma.
                      Surely you are not talking about putting 4 WHOLE BULBS in 5 gallons? Perhaps you put in 4 CLOVES?
                      -Lyle C. Brown
                      Brewer
                      Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Originally posted by beerking1
                        Surely you are not talking about putting 4 WHOLE BULBS in 5 gallons? Perhaps you put in 4 CLOVES?

I didn't say it was balanced in any way. Yes 4 bulbs (2 boil 2 keg). It isn't for everyday use, more of a gimick.

Comment

Working...
                        X