Biofine clear (silicic acid) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biofine clear (silicic acid) ?

does anyone use this stuff? Could you let me know your opinions on it?

Originally posted by JoeV
    does anyone use this stuff? Could you let me know your opinions on it?
    I've not got any experience of the stuff, but there was a big discussion about it last week -

As far as I can see, there is also a mention of it from a few years ago, on the BeerAdvocate site, from a fellow pro-brewer from Kennebunkport -

Originally posted by ericj551
    I like it for a couple reasons. It's very pure and not animal derived, so it doesn't have that terrible smell that keeps me from every considering traditional isinglass in my homebrew. Also it seems to work very quickly. If there's a beer I want to drink at the end of my shift still in the fermentor, I just pull off a sample and add a drop or two of the stuff and in less than an hour it's very clear and I can pour leaving all the sediment behind.
    Cheers,
    MikeMcG.

Comment

I have been trying it out with mixed results. So far it worked great on 15 Bbl batches, but on a 30 Bbl batch it does not compact enough for me to get clear beer from the racking port. I have no racking arms, so that doesn't help. I get real clear beer at the sample valve but its too cloudy at the racking port. On the 15 Bbl batches it worked real well and dropped bright quickly. Very easy to use. From what I gather from other posts and talking to other guys who are using it, the stuff works quick but simply does not compact as well as isinglass so it depends on your set up wether it will work or not. I would say if your interested its worth a shot.
      Big Willey
      "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Working...
      X