No announcement yet.

Versatility of California Lager Yeast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Versatility of California Lager Yeast?

I am curious as to how successful fellow brewers have been with brewing styles other than 'California Common' with steam-style yeast.
    I wonder how it would perform across a wide range of lager and hybrid styles. Specifically, Pre-Prohibition American Pilsner, Dusseldorf Altbier, Baltic Porter, Marzen and Bockbiers are my beers of interest.
    Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Originally posted by drewseslu
    I am curious as to how successful fellow brewers have been with brewing styles other than 'California Common' with steam-style yeast.
    I wonder how it would perform across a wide range of lager and hybrid styles. Specifically, Pre-Prohibition American Pilsner, Dusseldorf Altbier, Baltic Porter, Marzen and Bockbiers are my beers of interest.
    We use for Kentucky & Cali Common, Solidarity Baltic Porter, and a Pre-Pro Pils )complete with 6-row and maize). It is a neutral flavored yeast and works well in a broad temp. range. Go for it.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Thanks, David, I'll be sure to ask Jerad about it some more the next time he makes it to St. Louis. BTW, the NABC/Schlafly/O'Fallon brew is one of the most interesting brews I've sampled in recent memory.

Comment

Thanks, David, I'll be sure to ask Jerad about it some more the next time he makes it to St. Louis.
        Jared uses it more than me.

BTW, the NABC/Schlafly/O'Fallon brew is one of the most interesting brews I've sampled in recent memory.
        Brewers gone wild. Can't wait for a wee sample.
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Just hope you meant "wee" as an adjective not the resulting noun.

Comment

I talked to Jerad today, looks like I'll be lining up some trials next month. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X