Kolsch yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kolsch yeast

I would like to make a bock this week but I have no Lager yeast, thinking about getting some Kolsch yeast from a micro. Good plan? Bad plan? Looking to make a 20 - 22 P Maibock kinda thing. Thanks

Kolsch

I use a Kolsch yeast from Whitelabs for my Pale Ale(Kolsch) and Session Ale. I have many years playing around with this yeast and have found that it has a hard time fermenting high gravity wort. You can ferment it at low temps to get a lager-like smoothness, but i fear that the yeast will die before it is done fermenting, leaving you with a super high FG. I would say no to using that yeast. It gets super-sulfury in the aroma when it is stressed. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

Comment

Thanks. I just looked it up and it isn't very alcohol tollerant. It's like I can never find Lager yeast unless I buy it. The cost for a 22 P 7 bbl is about $450.00 if you want the right number of cells. Guess I until I cawith a n prop it with my session beer. Oh well. Just had an open tank and some extra Munich malt JS

Comment

Have you thought about using dry yeast? I'm usually a liquid yeast guy (either from Whitelabs or BSI) but I've used Fermentis yeast (which I get from Crosby & Baker) on a bunch of lagers in the past. I'm totally happy with it. It ferments well and leaves a nice clean finish. I've used both the s-189 and s-23 to brew pilsners, bocks, marzens etc... Very good results. And for a 7 bbl batch a .5kg pitch is under $70.00. It's always performed well for me (although I've never used it on a beer higher than 16.5 P)
        Hutch Kugeman
        Head Brewer
        Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
        Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Have you looked into BSI (Brewing Science Institute?). Their website lists 7 BBL pitchable at $140, or a starter for $90. Assuming that is for an ale, even if you double it you are just over half the number you were looking at. They offer several services (custom mixing yeast, etc) as well. Give Dave a call: (719) 460-0418.
          -Lyle C. Brown
          Brewer
          Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Yes, I have used both dry strains and they worked well. I have always wanted to make a bock with a lot of yeast and not mess around with propogation or did I buy enough. Dave at BSI recommends 3 M cells. I know he's trying to be sure I have exactly what I need. He's always been very helpful and I buy BSI yeast whenever I can. I just can't rationalize the expence for one beer. Always an issue with yeast. I guess I'm just to damn cheap.

Comment

You just need to plan better. I always plan out at least 3 beers when ordering a specialty yeast. For what your doing you could have started with a pils, done a dunkel and then the bock. Also it helps to develop good relationships with all the other local breweries, you can usually get what you need that way as well.
              Big Willey
              "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Working...
              X